Fan was constantly blowing, now no heat or AC.

MikeS123

Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
My wife was traveling to Michigan last weekend in her 2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3. She called me the next day after she went to brunch and said when they got back she heard a fan running after she shut her truck off. I told her that it sometimes is normal (even though it was 30 degrees outside, so not really normal I guess), but the fan kept running until it killed the battery. The next day they tried to jump start it and as soon as they hooked the jumper cables up the fan would kick on and they could not get it to charge enough to start it. I suggested pulling the fuse so they could get the battery charged enough. She first pulled fuse 20 (cooling fan) which did nothing and then she pulled fuse 35 (J case fuse for blower motor) which she said the fan stopped after that. Once they were able to jump start the truck, they put the fuse back in. And soon as she drove away she noticed the heater (or ac) wasn't blowing air. The next stop they made the fan did not stay on after she turned the truck off and hasn't this whole week, but still no air coming from the vents with heater or ac. Is it possible that a relay went bad or is the blower motor itself the culprit? Thanks.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Welcome to the site.

If the truck has auto HVAC, the fan problem is a bad speed control module (lots of info on here, try a search).

The dead battery, along with the jump, has probably caused one (or both) of the temp actuators to screw up; again, this is a very common problem with GM vehicles. and a search will turn up a lot of info.

EDIT: sorry, just re-read your post. It is not a lack of heat, it is a lack of blower. I'm guessing, the fuse may have blown, or the speed control module is completely bad.

MikeS123

Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
RayVoy said:
Welcome to the site.

If the truck has auto HVAC, the fan problem is a bad speed control module (lots of info on here, try a search).

The dead battery, along with the jump, has probably caused one (or both) of the temp actuators to screw up; again, this is a very common problem with GM vehicles. and a search will turn up a lot of info.

EDIT: sorry, just re-read your post. It is not a lack of heat, it is a lack of blower. I'm guessing, the fuse may have blown, or the speed control module is completely bad.

Thanks. I did check the fuses. I guess I will need a new speed control module. I should of searched, there are a lot of threads on this issue. Hard to weed through them all.

MikeS123

Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
Just wanted to double check, this is the correct part?

ACDelco 15-80567 Control Module Kit

(tried to post a link, but I guess I am unable too since I am new.)

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It is, as long as you have the auto/digital control module with two rotary knobs for temperature control and a digital display. If you have the manual control with slide pots for temp control this isn't the right one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online