fan rubbing shroud and sometime stopping the fan

Firebalt07

Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
after replacing motormounts and plugs ect, i noticed occasionally my car would start overheating a little. not much. well yesterday it was overheating a little and threw a code, which turned out to be fan speed sensor. i popped the hood and the fan was nearly standinf still. i figured it was the clutch, but when it was running and i turned the fan i could hear it rubbing against the shroud around the fan. once ever rotation it would slightly rub the fan which was enough to slow it down and stop it. here is a video of what it is doing... it almost looks like the fan is bent because it isnt even. when i pull back on the shroud away from the fan the rubbing stops. if you listen carefullly you can hear it. i tightened everything down that i could get to, but am at a loss... is it possible to adjust the fan a little away from the radiator, or how will it affect the performance if i remove the shroud altogether? any help is appreciated.

[video=youtube_share;LSyzrcmz1OI]http://youtu.be/LSyzrcmz1OI[/video]

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There is no adjustment for the fan unless it was somehow put on the fan clutch wrong or the bolts holding it to the fan clutch are loose.
Removing the shroud would cause more overheating problems.
Try loosening the shroud bolts and readjusting it. There should be enough play to move it. Then re-tighten the bolts.
One more thing: Make sure the tabs at the bottom of the shroud are in the slots.

Also,
tiphat.gif
Welcome
tiphat.gif

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com/f5/welcome-gmtnation-com-heres-story-226/

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Looking at the video, it reminds me of my old fan clutch. Notice that the wobbly movement is not regular. If something was bent, the movement would be regular, like a bent wheel. My fan clutch's bearings were shot and allowed lateral movement although mine did not contact the shroud. With the engine stopped, grab the top of the fan and try to push it back and forth. You might see this movement in the clutch hub and see by how much it's letting the fan move.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online