Factory XM radio service ? And replacing HU?

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
The truck I purchased has XM and is currently working don't know till when. But how is XM activated, when you going to start service for your vehicle. What information is needed or what is done to get XM working on truck. I only ask because XM is working on truck, but if i change HU to OEM Nav unit will I lose the XM service.
Also can the XM tuner work on any aftermarket Nav Units?

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
02tahoelt said:
The truck I purchased has XM and is currently working don't know till when. But how is XM activated, when you going to start service for your vehicle. What information is needed or what is done to get XM working on truck. I only ask because XM is working on truck, but if i change HU to OEM Nav unit will I lose the XM service.

Bump…
Anyone? ?

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Nope, there is no adapter for this. You can use the factory antenna with the aftermarket tuner, but not the factory tuner with an aftermarket radio

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
Me007gold said:
Nope, there is no adapter for this. You can use the factory antenna with the aftermarket tuner, but not the factory tuner with an aftermarket radio

Ok, but will XM continue working if I install a OEM Nav. Unit?

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
Me007gold said:
It should(the subscription is tied in to the tuner, not the radio), as long as the nav radio supports XM

Yea, I currently have the 6 disc Bose, thinking about going Nav. Unit. Maybe even switch over to LUX HU and Amp. I currently have the premium Bose system

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Me007gold said:
It should(the subscription is tied in to the tuner, not the radio), as long as the nav radio supports XM

Wait. I'm confused.

You mean the XM tuner is NOT built into the OEM HU itself?
If not, where in the truck is it?
I just replaced my HU with an aftermarket one.
When I unplugged the OEM I didn't see anything that looked like a seperate XM tuner module in there.
See my XM Radio B%llsh*t!!! thread for details.

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
06Envoy said:
Wait. I'm confused.

When I unplugged the OEM I didn't see anything that looked like a seperate XM tuner module in there.

If you take a look here, you'll see in the pics the XM Module
http://gmtnation.com/f93/$3-00-aux-input-via-xm-interface-1722/ follow this link

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
06Envoy said:
Wait. I'm confused.

Then tuner is under the glovebox, under the dash. There is a panel under the glovebox that the tuner is on.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
02tahoelt said:

The XM tuner is activated via its serial number with XM, can be done online (its very easy to sign up - its very hard to cancel). The subscription has nothing to do with the HU. The HU just lets you listen to the tuner. The tuners are sometimes activated by the dealers as a trial when new, if your vehicle is used than the previous owner had it activated and it will continue to work until their paid subscription expires. Could be a month to month thing, or they could have paid for a full year and you'll be using the remain time. It's also possible they paid for a life time sub and it will never expire. XM and Sirius have automatic renewals, a little sneaky, but unless you call them (no other method) and spend 30 mins on the phone your tuners subscription will continue to renew. If the previous owner doesn't know this and go through the effort of calling you could be listening to 'free' XM for a while.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
When you call XM to extend the plan ask them for a deal on it to make it afforable for you to keep. I have never paid full price for either of my 2 radios. I have the 6 disc bose and the display for XM is pretty lame, I like my portable it has more program information and screen looks good. I think the NAV unit has a better looking display than the 6 disc bose.

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
NewfieEnvoy said:
The XM tuner is activated via its serial number with XM, can be done online (its very easy to sign up - its very hard to cancel). The subscription has nothing to do with the HU. The HU just lets you listen to the tuner. The tuners are sometimes activated by the dealers as a trial when new, if your vehicle is used than the previous owner had it activated and it will continue to work until their paid subscription expires. Could be a month to month thing, or they could have paid for a full year and you'll be using the remain time. It's also possible they paid for a life time sub and it will never expire. XM and Sirius have automatic renewals, a little sneaky, but unless you call them (no other method) and spend 30 mins on the phone your tuners subscription will continue to renew. If the previous owner doesn't know this and go through the effort of calling you could be listening to 'free' XM for a while.

Thats the answer i was looking for, THANKS. That's awesome NEWS, Well I just hope they opted for the Lifetime Subscription.and that the XM module just last forever. is there any reason these tuners don't work on aftermarket HU?

02tahoelt

Original poster
May 7, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
When you call XM to extend the plan ask them for a deal on it to make it afforable for you to keep. I have never paid full price for either of my 2 radios. I have the 6 disc bose and the display for XM is pretty lame, I like my portable it has more program information and screen looks good. I think the NAV unit has a better looking display than the 6 disc bose.

Are you Crazy:crazy:. Am not calling XM, I think am getting the BEST deal here:raspberry:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
I've owned my 9-7 since this past January and last week out of nowhere the XM started working. A few days later a welcome package arrived in the mail written as though I had signed up and in the materials they inform you of the 3 month trial period. I have no interest in keeping XM and this same automatic situation never happended with either of our Rainier's XM. As I never signed up, and didn't read the materials closely, I can only presume they bill you if you don't cancel in time of the expiration of the trial. However they decided to automatically activate me is certainly sneaky as I use internet radio in the 9-7 for free and now I'm on the hook to cancel. Doesn't seem like a fair way to do business.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
02tahoelt said:
Are you Crazy:crazy:. Am not calling XM, I think am getting the BEST deal here:raspberry:

You may have the best deal NOW but I'm sure it will end. I believe the lifetime subsciptions at around $500+ were not offered anymore after XM and SERIOUS merged. I'm just saying when and IF you need to renew do it over the phone rather than going online so you can ask for a better rate and they will most likely give it to you. you could also go online and input your radio number (from channel 1) and see when it will expire.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.