F*** You Fan clutch

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
tryin to replace the fan clutch on the trailblazer and so far it has been very frustrating and haven't been successful :banghead: i rented the fan clutch tool from autozone and the big one will not hold the water pump in place and keeps slipping any help or tips would be greatly appreciated and yes i used the search function and tried everything that everyone else has done here is the tool i rented from autozone

photobucket-19944-1335301043940.jpg
[/IMG]

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
I Only use the small one for the fan clutch nut, put a 3/8 ratchet into the opening prop the hood open with a long pipe or a push broom handle on the side of the radiator by the battery, and hit the ratchet handle real hard with a hammer, if you have access to an air chisel put it on the left side of the nut and give it a couple strikes with that and i guarantee that woukd do it, my fan clutch had to be done like that, i just did radiator, water pump, & fan clutch on a friends TB, i got this particular fan clutch loose useing the hammer method

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
ghenny440 said:
I Only use the small one for the fan clutch nut, put a 3/8 ratchet into the opening prop the hood open with a long pipe or a push broom handle on the side of the radiator by the battery, and hit the ratchet handle real hard with a hammer, if you have access to an air chisel put it on the left side of the nut and give it a couple strikes with that and i guarantee that woukd do it, my fan clutch had to be done like that, i just did radiator, water pump, & fan clutch on a friends TB, i got this particular fan clutch loose useing the hammer method

just went to autozone and got a different fan clutch kit a 5 piece hopefully this works

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you have an air compressor and air tools, use a zip gun on the hub nut in the direction to loosen it. Works amazing.

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Mooseman said:
If you have an air compressor and air tools, use a zip gun on the hub nut in the direction to loosen it. Works amazing.

:thumbup: agreed, exactly what i said to, hopefully he was able to get it done yesterday

nismo0886

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
after fighting with it for the entire day an not being able to get it off i :whiteflag:i ended up taking it to a local shop today unfortunately i don't have air tools and after this nightmare that is something im going to have to invest in. hey at least i tried and after scratched up arms and blistered hands even pulled a shoulder muscle i can at least walk away and say i gave it all i had yes i didn't accomplish it but it was definitely a learning experience

Dshow

Dec 7, 2011
I put one end chain under one of the water pump bots and the other attached to the lifting eye of the engine to hold it still. Getting the nut lose is only half the battle, trying to fish it out once it was lose was another challenge.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Errr, guess I was lucky then when I removed mine a week ago... Just used a 10" crescent wrench on the nut and smacked it sharply with a hammer for ~5min and it popped free. That said, it was on my 08 with 33,xxx not the 02 with 13x,xxx.

Fishing it out, better off removing the whole shroud and removing it as an assembly. Then re-install as an assembly, poor design for sure.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
i saw in an old writeup, the guy used a 1 - 1/2" wrench and just smacked it and it came loose.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online