Error code B0035?

2001FZ1

Original poster
Member
Dec 27, 2011
43
My Buick had the check engine light come on yesterday. My wife stopped by Auto Zone for a scan to see what the error codes were. It was showing two: B0035 and P0410.

I see the P0410 is the air injection system. Will I cause more problems if I let this go for a while? Money is tight right now.

What is B0035?

Thanks!

Joe
'04 Rainier I6, AWD, 93,500 miles.
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,956
North Las Vegas
B0035 ADS Closed/Shorted to Ground. I think it has something to do with the impact sensors and or an air bag module. I can't find much on it.

Hopefully May03 or someone knows more about it.
 

2001FZ1

Original poster
Member
Dec 27, 2011
43
What if I just clear the codes and see what comes back? Will that cause problems????
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,956
North Las Vegas
It shouldn't, if it comes back then you know you have a problem
 

Wooluf1952

Member
Nov 20, 2011
2,663
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2001FZ1 said:
My Buick had the check engine light come on yesterday. My wife stopped by Auto Zone for a scan to see what the error codes were. It was showing two: B0035 and P0410.

I see the P0410 is the air injection system. Will I cause more problems if I let this go for a while? Money is tight right now.

What is B0035?

Thanks!

Joe
'04 Rainier I6, AWD, 93,500 miles.

The P0410 is the SAIS. Driving until you get it fixed shouldn't be a problem. The engine will run rich longer, so getting it fixed sooner rather than later would be beneficial.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
And some of the problems with the SAIS can be fixed cheaply. How are you with things like a throttle body cleaning, since the exhaust manifold solenoid valve is a bit similar in location and cruddiness with a dirty throttle body. How about electrical things like unplugging and replugging relays and checking fuses with a meter?

So you hear a shop vac kind of noise coming from under the driver's seat but outside the cabin on the frame rail, for 20 seconds on a cold start?
 

2001FZ1

Original poster
Member
Dec 27, 2011
43
the roadie said:
And some of the problems with the SAIS can be fixed cheaply. How are you with things like a throttle body cleaning, since the exhaust manifold solenoid valve is a bit similar in location and cruddiness with a dirty throttle body. How about electrical things like unplugging and replugging relays and checking fuses with a meter?

So you hear a shop vac kind of noise coming from under the driver's seat but outside the cabin on the frame rail, for 20 seconds on a cold start?

I have cleaned the TB several times. I checked the two fuses under the hood with my Fluke 115.
I can hear the shop vac running under the seat. I started the truck this morning and thought I could hear it so I shut it off and then heard the pump spooling down just like a vacuum cleaner does.

Check valve removal and cleaning next?
 

2001FZ1

Original poster
Member
Dec 27, 2011
43
Wooluf1952 said:
The P0410 is the SAIS. Driving until you get it fixed shouldn't be a problem. The engine will run rich longer, so getting it fixed sooner rather than later would be beneficial.

might explain the 15.5 mpgs on the last tank. I normally get 17-18mpgs. Funny thing, the check engine light came on with in 2 miles of filling up.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
The rich running goes away in 60-120 seconds anyway, as the engine gets itself into closed loop mode. All the SAIS does is hasten this process to pass an EPA test that was added around 2002. Early vehicles don't have this system. It can't cause lower mileage that can be detected in fewer miles per tankful.

Pull the hose that goes from the turbine pump to the check valve, and listen for exhaust noises coming out of the valve at start-up. If no noises, the check valve is probably dead or dirty, or the electrical circuit (fuse + relay) has a problem. Statistically from reading the OS for years, 95% of the time it was a bad valve.
 

2001FZ1

Original poster
Member
Dec 27, 2011
43
I took the check valve off this weekend and cleaned it. The valve inside was stuck but a little carb cleaner and some spray lube got it moving again. I cleared the codes and so far (3 cold starts) no error codes. The B0035 didn't come back either.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,442
Posts
639,385
Members
18,664
Latest member
SooMenn22

Members Online