Engine vibration after water pump & belt replacement

05Rainier

Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Hello,

First of all, this is my first post on this site as I am coming from the 'old site' after finally wising up and searching for the knowledgeable Rodie...

As for my issue; I recently replaced my water pump & serp belt after noticing the fan wobble, the engine sounding like it was under water, and LOTS of play in my fan shaft (thankfully, no leak or overheating). Now, she sounds great and all is tight as a drum, but, I am experiencing a 'humming' engine vibration at about 3K RPM when taking off or sitting in park, as well as a slight wobble at idle ..Dammit!!.. My very-trusted mechanic says that it's because my fan is badly warped and that 'hum' is when the clutch is kicking out. He says that as long as I replace the fan ASAP, I should be fine. Within the last 20K Mi, I've replaced the plugs, air filter, AIR pump & check valve, thermostat, had the stealership-only fuel system flush, and all of the fluids replaced except differential (waiting on $$ because i just found I need seals too ..grumble grumble..)

Has anyone else had this issue from a warped fan and did a fan fix it? Should I also look at getting a fan clutch? Anyone have anything against a scrapyard fan? Thanks in advance!!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Remove the belt to see if the vibration is still there. With the belt off try to move the water pump pulley in all directions. This will tell you if the water pump is bad. If it doesn't move at all then the fan is damaged and will need to be replaced.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online