Engine knock with a p0014 and p0016

smoke624

Original poster
May 23, 2014
2004 Chevy Trailblazer LT 4x4 with the I6. approx 130,000 miles.

Friday while pulling off the light, warning indicator said check gauges, oil pressure reduced once i let out of the throttle the pressure resumed and had no other issues on the way home. Saturday morning ... started the truck with no issues on the way to work, the truck downshifted and i began to hear a tick sound.

-> Truck makes a ticking sound when on the throttle ... while running at highway speeds you can't hear it. while truck idles you cant hear it.
hand held scanner is showing P0014 and P0016.

Back ground - > Alternator replaced at 100,000
Coil Pack replaced at 103,000

all services have been up to date and on/before scheduled ...

Stopped by a mechanic shop today just to let a guy give me a second opinion and he said it sounds like rod knock.

I am out of town working for the next 6 months in salt lake city, utah. I have no other form of transportation out here. I am looking for some help and ideas on where to start. I am really hoping it's not rod knock because i cant afford the replacement engine but its not looking too good for me right now ... If anyone has experienced this or know anything that may help me out please speak up.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
How old is the oil filter? Are you using an AC PF61/ PF61E?

Based on what you are describing and not hearing the noise, I would drain the oil and catch a small amount and look for metal flakes, particularly yellowish gold in color. Also change the oil filter to the above mentioned PF61E.

I would do this at first chance to possibly avoid further damage to be on the safe side. Please report your findings as there are many things with this motor that replicate a rod knocking sound.

Also, have you been performing the oil changes yourself or a quickie lube? Also, please show us or tell us what oil filter is in there if someone else has been changing the oil other than the dealer or yourself.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Forgot to mention your codes, not sure how the camshaft positioning would correlate to a knock but others will need to chime in on those codes. Could have issues with the exhaust cam phaser and could also point back to oil quality, etc.

Can you pull the electrical connector on the CPAS and see if there is oil in the connector? If so then it needs to be replaced.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Check oil ASAP. Did you have any pending codes? The camshaft sensor could be causing the fire sequence to be a little off, but you should get a misfire code at that point.

P0014 - camshaft B over advanced
P0016 - Crankshaft position Correlation Bank 1 sensor a

Could be sensors are reading a difference. Have you had any other things done. Like new computer or tune or replace either of those sensors or other major items

smoke624

Original poster
May 23, 2014
Oil was changed Saturday at Jiffy Lube, on my way home after i heard the knock for the first time. I will check today when i get home what the filter is.

If true rod knock, i should find metal shavings in the oil correct?

I have had no other issues or modifications done to the truck at all other than what was described before .. I had a mechanic at work have a listen and he said he diidn;t think it was rod knock more along the lines of a bad egr valve.

I have an appointment today at the chevy dealer here in salt lake to give me the diagnosis ... we will find out for sure

May be parting out a truck if so. I only gave $3000 for the truck from family .. to me it's not worth putting another $3000 into.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
These trucks don't have EGR valves.

But the noise could be from the exhaust cam being overadvanced , making it sound odd at particular RPM ranges.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
So you just heard this for the first time after leaving jiffy lube? If so call them and tell them you havent had a knock until
they serviced your vehicle, if thats true.

My money is on thick oil, or bad filter...or that they didn't realize you have a 7 quart pan.

They buy bulk oil at discount, no way they're changing mine unless I watch them open 7 bottles of synthetic.

Reactions: triz

smoke624

Original poster
May 23, 2014
well good knews bad news .. i know whats wrong .. bad news is its rod knocking ... why i have no idea ...chevy dealership confirmed ... so if anyone is looking for a nice set of 20" rims wrapped in some good tires or a double din cd player i have one .. truck is gonna be junked

Ed H

Oct 18, 2012
Ah. That sucks man. I feel for you. :frown:

I just had the motor replaced in mine. Not fun, but much cheaper than another ride.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Check that jiffy lube first, I can't help but wonder given some horror stories I've read and the timing being so suspicious...

Even if they are responsible it may be impossible to get them to actually do anything, but you never know.

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Sucks. Sorry to hear. I replaced my engine as well last year because number 1 bearing decided to shred it self.

smoke624

Original poster
May 23, 2014
Thanks guys i am browsing my options right now as far as what i can do. It looks to me like its gonna be easier just to get rid of the truck. i got this thing for like 2400 from family. ive got my money out of it .. talked to a dealership yesterday they are gonna give me 3000 for it with the bad motor so i am gaining money for it.

Like i said if anyone needs a nice in dash dvd player or some sweet 20 inch rims and tires feel free to contact me. I need the cash so my loss is your gain

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Man, that's a blow. Can't argue with getting some money back. Makes me think why a dealership would offer 3K knowing they need to fix it....or maybe part it out.

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Yeah I am surprised as well. Usually top is about 1k. Then again they may try to get him in a used vehicle with a 5-7k markup.

smoke624

Original poster
May 23, 2014
anyone know how to get the knock out of this thing on a temp fix? i need it to pass across an auction block. i read somewhere that seafoam would band-aid it for a week or so. i dont really care if it blows the motor i just need it run across the auction floor (according to dealer) for 3 minutes. they will give me $3000 trade in value towards my 2010 camero ss

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
smoke624 said:
anyone know how to get the knock out of this thing on a temp fix? i need it to pass across an auction block. i read somewhere that seafoam would band-aid it for a week or so. i dont really care if it blows the motor i just need it run across the auction floor (according to dealer) for 3 minutes. they will give me $3000 trade in value towards my 2010 camero ss
You're in the wrong Forum, most of us are honest refugees from TV.... In no way would we scam another person, especially a potential TV owner...

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
and nothing will stop the sound of a rod bouncing around on the crank.

smoke624

Original poster
May 23, 2014
truck made it to the dealer .... I now have a Chevy Camaro SS sitting in the driveway ... Thank you guys for all the help I have stock wheels in my garage if anyone needs them hit me up

Reactions: Ed H and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online