Electrical problems

Southernboy08

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Ok replaced my alternator and fixed my voltage drop. My low beams shut off sometimes by them selves. When they go off flick the high beams and the lows will work again. The fuses are good but I don't know what else to check. Any suggestions?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Relays maybe? Don't remember which one are which but I'm sure you can figure it out as they are listed on the fuse cover.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Yeah, they're the two black ones next to each other. Swap 45 and 46 and see if the behavior changes.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Southernboy08 said:
Ok replaced my alternator and fixed my voltage drop. My low beams shut off sometimes by them selves. When they go off flick the high beams and the lows will work again. The fuses are good but I don't know what else to check. Any suggestions?

DRL relay is a good thing to check. But i would check for proper voltage output from the alternator first. Should be around 14.2 volts dc. Did you replace the battery too? Bad alternators can kill an otherwise good battery.

Also check underneath the red and black boots for corrosion. Check the battery bolts for stripped threads or corrosion.

Last step would be to reseat the connectors at the back of the headlight switch. Another thing to think about is the turn signal stalk. The low beams turn off if a turn signal is present.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
9 times out of 10 when headlight issues are reported on the forums, its the relay's that Roadie suggested... that happened to me last year...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online