Electrical problems...

drofenaz

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Here's a summary of my problems:
  • Radio does not turn off when opening the door
  • Door chimes no longer work
  • Dome lights don't turn on when opening the door

Any idea what could be causing this? I checked a couple of fuses but they were all fine. I'm not sure if I checked the right ones though because my manual's fuse box diagram doesn't match my vehicle's.

Also, no doors make the lights come on when opened.

EDIT: The vehicle is a 2006 Envoy. Straight six.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
drofenaz said:
Here's a summary of my problems:
  • Radio does not turn off when opening the door
  • Door chimes no longer work
  • Dome lights don't turn on when opening the door
Any idea what could be causing this? I checked a couple of fuses but they were all fine. I'm not sure if I checked the right ones though because my manual's fuse box diagram doesn't match my vehicle's.

Also, no doors make the lights come on when opened.

It would help if you would fill out the info of what vehicle you have.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Typically a broken/corroded driver's door latch switch. How handy are you with a meter and tracing wiring if we gave you the schematics?

The dome light issue might be as simple as a pressed-in dome light override button. Or a fuse.

The chime issue may be a failed or missing aftermarket head unit adapter, if you or somebody changed out the radio and it's no longer the OEM unit. What's its status?

What makes you think the manual's fuse block diagrams don't match your vehicle? Does the cover of the manual match your model?

drofenaz

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
It would help if you would fill out the info of what vehicle you have.

Sorry. I added it to the initial post. It's a 2005 Envoy with a straight six.

the roadie said:
Typically a broken/corroded driver's door latch switch. How handy are you with a meter and tracing wiring if we gave you the schematics?

The dome light issue might be as simple as a pressed-in dome light override button. Or a fuse.

The chime issue may be a failed or missing aftermarket head unit adapter, if you or somebody changed out the radio and it's no longer the OEM unit. What's its status?

What makes you think the manual's fuse block diagrams don't match your vehicle? Does the cover of the manual match your model?

I don't think it's the driver's door latch switch because none of the doors work (the dome lights don't come on when you open any of them). The head-unit is aftermarket but previously had no problems. We did install the door chime / OnStar module with it and it was functioning perfectly.

The manual is for the right model vehicle. It just has a couple fuses extra that my vehicle doesn't have.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
If the over ride button for the interior lights is activated then the interior lights will not come on when you open the doors. It is the button below the light switch on the left beside the dimmer switch which is on the right .

drofenaz

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Fire06 said:
If the over ride button for the interior lights is activated then the interior lights will not come on when you open the doors. It is the button below the light switch on the left beside the dimmer switch which is on the right .

That fixed the lights. Thank you! I'm not sure how they got overrode considering I didn't do anything.

Any idea on how to fix the radio and the chimes? The radio doesn't shut off when any of doors are opened. And the chimes aren't chiming when the driver's door is opened.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
drofenaz said:
Sorry. I added it to the initial post. It's a 2005 Envoy with a straight six.

I don't think it's the driver's door latch switch because none of the doors work (the dome lights don't come on when you open any of them). The head-unit is aftermarket but previously had no problems. We did install the door chime / OnStar module with it and it was functioning perfectly.

The manual is for the right model vehicle. It just has a couple fuses extra that my vehicle doesn't have.

Those GMOS units can go bad on you. I've had 2 crap out on me in the last 3 years, same exact problems you're having now. :frown: So I'd put your radio power and door chime issues on that.

drofenaz

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Those GMOS units can go bad on you. I've had 2 crap out on me in the last 3 years, same exact problems you're having now. :frown: So I'd put your radio power and door chime issues on that.

I thought it was only for chimes and OnStar? Does it actually have any say with the radio turning off?

I think these problems have been caused by some ants we've had lately (rasberry crazy ants). My other car got a couple of ants in it too and ran into a couple of electrical problems shortly after. :undecided:

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Blckshdw said:

Lucky you, i had 2 go out on me and went to the scosche no more probs, when my 2nd went we were at the drive in with the kids in the middle of a movie and the radio just shut off, no warning signs or anything, needless to say the kids were PISSED! pulled it out the next morning and popped the box open and the trace on the board was burnt going to the switched power wire

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
drofenaz said:
I thought it was only for chimes and OnStar? Does it actually have any say with the radio turning off?

Sure does. The red (switched) wire to the head unit is turned on/off by the GMOS.

drofenaz

Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Sure does. The red (switched) wire to the head unit is turned on/off by the GMOS.

I'll stick a new one in when I get home. Thanks for the help!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
My stupid radio chime harness adapter thingy is all screwed up too. Randomly kills the radio when it feels like it :hissyfit:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online