Eject the drivers seat through the roof!

fixit

Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Austin, TX
Ok, so I just had this epiphany; I could build my own version of OnStar! Technically, I can, anyway. But, where can I become an Xpert on the commands used to, say eject the thief's seat through the roof? Well, at least, kill the engine and a few things like that.
fixit

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Well, in the meantime while you try to figure out the particulars, you can modify your rear view mirror to at least give the thieves fair warning. I did this some years ago when my mod bug was in its prime. :laugh:

RearView3.jpg
RearView4.jpg

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Ok, so I just had this epiphany; I could build my own version of OnStar! Technically, I can, anyway. But, where can I become an Xpert on the commands used to, say eject the thief's seat through the roof? Well, at least, kill the engine and a few things like that.
fixit
The simplest way to kill the vehicle would be to fault the bus lines. This would work on both single wire Class 2 Serial and 2 wire (CAN Hi, CAN Lo) CANbus vehicles. No code required, signal a switch to ground one or both of the lines. A variation on that theme would be to implement a relay on one or more signal lines (e.g. fuel pump relay). Not as elegant as killing it thru the system bus but disabled nonetheless.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
**Should** not be any different than if you had a wiring problem that results in a no-start situation. I do not know how this might play out if you faulted the bus while the vehicle is driving down the road (i.e. impact on a life safety system like ABS or SRS). My thought would be to shoot for a no-start situation by disabling the starter and/or fuel pump relays (kind of like the old school kill switch which grounded the coil).

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure if that would work. I remember vaguely someone having an intermittent short to ground on the CANBUS and it kept running even though everything else stopped. I do believe there is a secondary CANBUS wire between the PCM and BCM for just that reason. It won't start but it will keep running if already running.

I'd say the easiest way to kill the engine would be to kill power to the ignition, fuel pump or injectors.

Reactions: Redbeard

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
epiphany meaning: 1. a moment when you suddenly feel that you understand, or suddenly become conscious of, something…

Sounds more like what you had was a "brain fart"....:biggrin: and not an epiphany...

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online