Education and Advice on Plus Sizing Please

asautt

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Thinking of putting 20's on the wife's 09 TB. The last wheel mod I did was putting "baby moons" on my '61 Catalina... when that baby was a late model used car, not a classic. :blinkhuh: So am trying to learn as much as I can.

TB is a totally stock mall crawler that might see the very occasional gravel road and boat ramp. Occasional towing a +/- 3000 lb GTW boat.

What I have found is to expect harsher ride and crisper handling. Is there anything eles I should be aware of if we do this? Does it make sense to do this on a tow vehicle?

Looking at wheels I have kind of narrowed the field down to a couple of models each from Helo, KMC, and one from American Racing. All black, don't want to do chrome. I have found a few people with problems with the Helos, but most of those had to do with peeling chrome plating. I haven't found much about KMC, and American Racing seems to have a pretty good reputation. Anybody have any good, bad, or indifferent experiences with any of these three brands?

Would appreciate any input you may have on this project.

Thanks
Alan

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
From my experience, which is from smaller wheels, the American Racing are decent and hold up well. Not the nicest, but better than many. KMC has always impressed me. Never messed with Helo.

asautt

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I do have the SS wheels on my short list. Will probably go that route if I can't get anything else I like in our orphan bolt pattern.

A local shop can get these, but I haven't called him back yet to get a firm price.

View attachment 17612

KMC SURGE

Alan

Attachments

• KMC Surge 665.jpg
    KMC Surge 665.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 132

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Those are sweet too! I have american eagle wheels on mine. What size of tire u gonna run? Mine are 27 45 20. Not too harsh of a ride.

asautt

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'll probably go with the 275/45R20 also. Pretty close to the stock tire circumference so I could put winter tires on the stock rims and still have the speedo be reasonably close.

Alan

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Ur lucky, when I bought my voy, the 20's were on it. So I don't have stockers to put on in th winter. I am constantly washing the truck in winter months. But hey I guess it looks good all yr round. :cool::thumbup:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Hopefully I'll eventually get a set of the ss wheels. I don't want chrome. I'd settle for the grey or the black.

asautt

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I got the chance to speak with a few other TB owners at the NorthWest meet today. Solidified my decision to get the 20s. Now to find the right ones. :book:

Alan

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
If u want my honest opinion, I don't like em. Lil ghetto for me. But that's only lookin at a pic. They might look a lil better in person. I like wider "spokes" I guess you'd call em.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Alan, not sure if I mentioned to you at the meet my personal preference for 20/22s or not. Im a sucker for the stock SS wheels in black, that said if you want some factory SS 20s Im looking to sell the 3 good ones of mine. Not sure if you're interested or not, just thought Id throw it out there. The tires have less than 15k on them as I run my 17s in the winter, think the winter tires have more miles than my 20s do! :eek:

If you dont want to go with SS or SS reps, then I like both of the others your posted. Im not a fan of skinny spokes on SUVs, but thats my personal preference.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

asautt

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Thanks for the input guys. After a couple of days consideration, I have to agree that the Milanni's are a little too "pimped" looking. I'm wanting a "subtle" look...just not quite so subtle as the SS wheels. Nothing at all wrong with the SS, and I may end up there, just looking for something a little different.

I found these Fortes that I am looking into:

View attachment 17750

If nothing else I can wait for the next production run of the Surge. Mr. Wheel Deal says they should be available in six to eight weeks. Still a couple of months for us to get some winter here in the the great PNW so the original Michilens are good to go.

Alan

Attachments

• Koma.jpg
    Koma.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 78

asautt

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I ended up going with the Forte Koma wheels. Mounted with Firestone Destination ST 275/45 R20XL. I thought I had an excellent online quote for the wheels, but dropped by my local Discount Tire to see how close they could come to the internet price for the tires. Discount came up with a price for the whole wheel/tire/sensor/blalance package that even including sales tax was within a hundred bucks of the internet price. So got the whole works at Discount.

View attachment 18069
View attachment 18070

Alan

Attachments

• TBRTSidesmall.jpg
    TBRTSidesmall.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 62
  • WheelRtFTSmall.jpg
    WheelRtFTSmall.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 61

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
Hopefully I'll eventually get a set of the ss wheels. I don't want chrome. I'd settle for the grey or the black.

You should do gunmetal with the color of your truck!! Can never go wrong with that color :yes::thumbsup:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Stupid phone! Sorry for previous post. I am content with the wheels I have. First lowering is what I wanna do next. All I gota do is save another 150 and I can get the lowering struts and shocks for rear and I'll be set! But if I ever do get new wheels it'll be the grey.

tokahao

Dec 9, 2011
asautt said:
I ended up going with the Forte Koma wheels. Mounted with Firestone Destination ST 275/45 R20XL. I thought I had an excellent online quote for the wheels, but dropped by my local Discount Tire to see how close they could come to the internet price for the tires. Discount came up with a price for the whole wheel/tire/sensor/blalance package that even including sales tax was within a hundred bucks of the internet price. So got the whole works at Discount.

View attachment 2991
View attachment 2992

Alan

very nice! :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online