Easiest Rear Differential to Install = ???

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Is there a Posi/LSD/Locker that is considered the easiest to install an open differential 8.6" rear end? In other words, are there any that install in 1 hour max? Including replacing fluid, cleaning cover, etc.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
No. Not in 1 hour, but the easiest is probably a lunchbox locker.

JimHTP

Jul 30, 2012
You always need to measure and shim the ring gear and pinion properly. Or at least you should. Especially if you plan to drive it for a long time. That process alone will take an experienced mechanic over an hour with all the gauging, measuring, test fitting and marking. And it is much more difficult inside the vehicle than with the rear end out on sawhorses or something.

Bottom line, even if you could slap one in under an hour, it is a great recipe for destroyed or quickly worn out rear end.

Edit: I realize know you must mean like an air locker or open diff conversion kit, something you wouldn't be replacing the chunk for. That could potentially be done in a couple hours if nothing goes wrong.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Alright then. I see the appeal of everyone else just swapping out their rear axle for one that already has it.

JimHTP

Jul 30, 2012
DenaliHD66
Alright then. I see the appeal of everyone else just swapping out their rear axle for one that already has it.

Well, unless you are very experienced and have air tools/ car lift...you can probably expect that to take a couple hours as well...

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well at that point, its not so much the time that bothers me, its the know-how and ability to do the little things to make sure putting in a new differential work. If you replace the axle, no minor adjustments inside the driveline are really necessary.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evenson1

Members Online

No members online now.