E-Fan issue

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Years back (2018?), I installed the PCM of NC e-fan kit (3-relay) on my 08 Saab 97x 5.3i... its worked great until this year.

The issue I am having is, only 1 fan will turn on High speed when commanded - either the PCM or by the manual switch. I can swap the fan wiring harness back and forth, and the other fan will run high, so its not the fans themselves. Both low fans work on low speed as designed.

I have swapped the relays, no change. Still, only 1 fan kicks on high. Fuses are good. I do not know what else to check.

I wrote Kelly at PCM of NC and he suggested the wiring harness is bad, and for $125 + shipping I can be new again. But I thought I'd check first to see if anybody else has had this issue, or has any insight of how to troubleshoot this? I'd hate to spend the money to replace the wiring harness, and it not actually be the issue.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:
Reactions: MichEnvoyGuy

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Break out the multimeter and trace each wire to be sure one isn't broken or melted. If possible, replace the affected wire. Save your $125.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Sure...Try investigating THIS Dual E-Fan, Triple Relay Harness Deal (for around $40.00 with FREE S&H ) over on eBay ...instead:

View attachment 110258View attachment 110259View attachment 110260View attachment 110261

No shit. Thanks for sharing that!! Would that be plug-n-play basically? The design of it (at least in the picture there) doesn't look any different than the PCM of NC kit.

Reactions: mrrsm

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Break out the multimeter and trace each wire to be sure one isn't broken or melted. If possible, replace the affected wire. Save your $125.

Ok I am admittedly not good at all at electrical. I wouldn't even know where to start, or what to set the multimeter to. I'd probably blow something up. lol.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Most MM have a continuity testing mode with a tone when there is continuity or use any resistance mode and look for 0 resistance. I'm sure there's a YT video that can show how to do this. It's not that difficult.

Reactions: Blckshdw and mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online

No members online now.