DRL Relocation

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Hello all.
I'm considering the DRL killer in order to install HID's in my low beams of the 07 Envoy Denali. After doing a lot of reading (some which appears beyond my comprehension) its not that difficult, however living in Canada and for safety sake, I need the DRL's.
What I would love to do is redirect the DRL's to the signal lights up front like the Saab 9-7x or like my Vette. Has anyone done this, or is it possible?
If not what about using the DRL killer and buying an aftermarket DRL module kit for the signal light application?
Worse case scenario can I redirect DRL's to the foglights instead while installing the HID's?
Thanks everyone!

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Easiest fix would be to do the drl killer and then just leave your parking lights switched on... I know this isn't a perfect fix, but it would get you what you're looking for. Only problem is remembering to switch them on every drive:undecided:

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
willn513 said:
Easiest fix would be to do the drl killer and then just leave your parking lights switched on... I know this isn't a perfect fix, but it would get you what you're looking for. Only problem is remembering to switch them on every drive:undecided:

Nope, signal light DRL's are "always on" at the same intensity as when the signal flashes unless you turn the lights on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here's something I thought up wanting to have the fogs only as DRL's. Use the diode mod to have quads and automatic fogs on with the headlights. With mine, when I did this, whether the DRL's or the full headlights were on, the fogs are always on. Then, disconnect the low beam bulbs from the stock wiring but leave the DRL circuit alone so the fogs continue to always be on. Then tap into the parking lights to your low beam HID's whenever the parking lights are on, which is whenever the headlights come on. As far as I know, there are no reasons where you would use only the parking lights. This way, you retain full automatic DRLs' and headlights with the light sensor.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Jayman said:
Hello all.
I'm considering the DRL killer in order to install HID's in my low beams of the 07 Envoy Denali. After doing a lot of reading (some which appears beyond my comprehension) its not that difficult, however living in Canada and for safety sake, I need the DRL's.
What I would love to do is redirect the DRL's to the signal lights up front like the Saab 9-7x or like my Vette. Has anyone done this, or is it possible?
If not what about using the DRL killer and buying an aftermarket DRL module kit for the signal light application?
Worse case scenario can I redirect DRL's to the foglights instead while installing the HID's?
Thanks everyone!

Hey calling all electronic experts! Any feedback on the above?:coffee:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I know what you mean about the turn signals as my Montana is like that. Unfortunately, this would require a lot of work as this is built into the turn signal circuits. Easiest would probably be to go with the fogs as DRL's.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I like Mooseman's approach. That would achieve what you're looking for.

The DRLs are routed through the BCM to use the low beams. So unless you want to figure out how to reprogram the BCM to use your parking lights instead (your rears would be on all the time as well) using the fogs is your best bet.

Another option would to to add some lights somewhere (I am partial to LEDs myself :tongue:) and then tie the new lights into fuse 22 in the front fuse block (ignition) and they would effectively be your new DRLs. That was the approach I took a few years ago, when I did this mod along with my HIDs.

IMAG0188.jpg

Edit: Actually, since the side marker, and front turn signal on the Voys are right next to each other, you can use my idea to relocate the DRL to the small 194 bulb marker light. Depending on how fancy you wanted to be, you could either cut the blue and brown wires going to the 194 socket, rewire the socket side to fuse 22 and one of the fender grounds, and tape off the body side of the wiring, that would effectively relocate your DRLs.

If you wanna go the fancy route, you can buy a couple of spare connectors that go with the 194 sockets, wire those up like previously mentioned, and tape off the old connectors, and do it that way. I grabbed a pair of these off RockAuto for another mod I did a while back, but you'd only need the PT2426 connector. :thumbsup:

IMAG0065.jpg

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Yes I've considered that mod using the fogs as a last resort.
Unfortunately the light output from a 194 bulb will be insufficent brightness legally, and I wanted to retain a factory look such as the Montana or 9-7x.
I'm impressed with skill of members to create these options for us who want to use HID lighting and protect them at the same time, which is why I wondered if using a DRL killer and then adding a kit available for vehicles without DRL's to illuminate the front turn signals at maximum intensity like the factory systems.
Keep the feedback coming!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Having your turn signals lit at full intensity at all times, you would effectively lose your turn signal functionality in the front. Do you at least have turn signals in your mirrors so cars in front of you would be able to see when you're signalling?

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Having your turn signals lit at full intensity at all times, you would effectively lose your turn signal functionality in the front. Do you at least have turn signals in your mirrors so cars in front of you would be able to see when you're signalling?

Nope, as I said there are kits available. Turn signals function as normal just like the factory systems and revert to normal parking lights functionality when the headlights are on. See here in the daytime running lamp tab Sequential Turn Signals, One Touch Turn Signals, Challenger Sequential Taillights, Sequential Tail Lights, Mustang, Dynamite Stick Sequential, Pulsing Brake Light Pulser Flasher, Raxiom, Amrerican Muscle, Stack Racing, One Touch, Blink Blink, Corvett

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Me personally, I would want to see the install instructions prior to purchasing, but for $40, it might be worth it to take a chance and see how it works. But if it gives you what you want, and doesn't break the bank, then go for it. :yes:

Edit: Nevermind, found them :duh:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For $40, that would be your best bet and it seems like it would work exactly the way you want. You could avoid getting a DRL killer and just hook up the HID's to the parking lights and not use the stock headlight wiring.

If I really wanted to, I probably could do something to make the turns signals act like that using a bunch of relays. Not sure how the flasher would react to the relay and possibly go into hyper flash.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Mooseman said:
For $40, that would be your best bet and it seems like it would work exactly the way you want. You could avoid getting a DRL killer and just hook up the HID's to the parking lights and not use the stock headlight wiring.

Was hoping there wouldn't be any conflicts as my comprehension of electronics is limited. I'm trying to understand what you mean by the above - what will be the benefit of the above? Quad lighting or...?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I read the instructions for the turn signal DRL's and it wouldn't use the headlight DRL's at all. All you would need to do is unplug the regular headlights and not use that wiring for the activation of the HID's. That's why you would tap into the parking light instead to activate the HID's instead of the headlight circuit. Also, you wouldn't need to do a quad mod since the HID's would stay on with the parking lights.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Mooseman said:
I read the instructions for the turn signal DRL's and it wouldn't use the headlight DRL's at all. All you would need to do is unplug the regular headlights and not use that wiring for the activation of the HID's. That's why you would tap into the parking light instead to activate the HID's instead of the headlight circuit. Also, you wouldn't need to do a quad mod since the HID's would stay on with the parking lights.

Forgive my inadequacy in this area Mooseman although I really appreciate what you're trying to do here. Are the first two.sentences correlated or not? What do you mean by unplug the headlights?
Also if I don't need the quad mod, does this mean I won't have the auto headlight feature at dark anymore because I would turn them on with my park lights?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No worries. Electrical stuff can be difficult to grasp sometimes. I'll try and explain it all.

- To install the HID's, you'll have to remove the halogen bulbs. The HID's will be fed by another 12V+ from the battery and would be triggered by the parking light to turn them on. You would not re-use the original headlight connectors so you don't need to disable the DRL. Since the HID's will be turned on by the parking light, when you turn on the high beams, the HID's will stay on since the parking lights will stay on so the low beam HID's will stay on. Thus the quad headlight mod will not be required.

- The new turn signal DRL's would work by being activated by an ignition switched power source. When you start the truck, the new DRL's will turn on the turn signals solid. When you use a turn signal, it will sense it and flash that signal. If you turn on the parking lights, it will sense that and turn on the parking lights and turn off the DRL/turn signal. Basically, it will work exactly like the Corvette's/Montana's DRL's.

- The operation of the new DRL's and the HID's will not interfere at all with each other. The only thing the two will will share is the parking light wire but this will not bother either in their operation.

Hope this explains it better :smile:

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Why not the relay method for the DRL kill, then run a resistor on the light sensor on the dash to make it think it is always daylight. Not sure what the resistance value is for the to work but I think it has been talked about before. Then running the HID's you should only need to flip on the switch for full headlights.

Another idea you can mount some 194 lights in the headlight and have those run as your DRL. I know on the Jetta it has the headlight and the DRL, the DRL is just a small 194 bulb that kicks on as soon as you put it into gear. Run these along with the running lights and they will always be on when in gear.

Not sure if the relay method just disables the headlight or the entire setup. I do not remember if my running lights kick on when I put it into gear.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For quad headlights and always on fogs, I used Cheap Quad Headlights & Fogs - Trailvoy . Way simpler. Gives the quad beams and turns on fogs with both the headlights and stock DRL's. You would still unplug the halogen low beams and use the parking light to trigger the HID's. The fogs would still light at all times. The auto-on headlights would work the same as before.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Mooseman said:
For quad headlights and always on fogs, I used Cheap Quad Headlights & Fogs - Trailvoy . Way simpler. Gives the quad beams and turns on fogs with both the headlights and stock DRL's. You would still unplug the halogen low beams and use the parking light to trigger the HID's. The fogs would still light at all times. The auto-on headlights would work the same as before.

You guys are just too smart!
Okay, so for the above procedure, if I'm reading properly, will this still make my fogs the DRL's (I didn't see this in that article)? If so that's great provided that my installed HID's come on at dusk automatically - I'm hoping I have this straight because it would seem a lot easier than what I was thinking originally, I think...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You got it. The fogs will turn on as DRL's and the HID's will come on with the sensor.

Jayman

Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Mooseman said:
You got it. The fogs will turn on as DRL's and the HID's will come on with the sensor.

Well that certainly seems to be the simplest approach doesn't it? Yes I don't have DRL's in the signal lights, but if I can get them in the fogs and do it so easily it's a no brainer to me.
Thanks for all the help and feedback!:hail:

Just reading that looong post some more and found that this does not disable the DRL. See here http://forums.trailvoy.com/showpost.php?p=1038364&postcount=74
Did I miss something or are really saying "The fogs will turn on as DRL's and the HID's will come on with the sensor"?
Is it true the more you read the more confused you get?

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
Haven't seen an update on this post in a while...Has anyone found the solution for running fogs as DRLs and having the HID lows come on with the sensor?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
heres what you'd do, basically the relay mod and the cap mod

The wires you are concerned with:

connector C1 pin A5 -PK/WH - Low Beam Relay Control
connector C2 pin E7 - PK - Headlamp On Indicator Control
connector C2 pin E11 - D-GN/WH - Fog Lamp Relay and Indicator Control

what you want to do is control the fog lights with the low beam control (but smooth the DRL PWM signal), and control the lows with the indicator bulb in the switch.

the first is accomplished by just re-directing the signal and using a capacitor. the second is done with a relay. *EDIT* The relay control is ground switched, changed the diagram

You will cut cut the A5 and E11 wires but just tap E7

View attachment 28427

View attachment 28363

Attachments

• bcm-c1.jpg
    bcm-c1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 21
  • bcm-c2.jpg
    bcm-c2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 21
  • drl circuit.jpg
    drl circuit.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 7

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
jimmyjam said:
heres what you'd do, basically the relay mod and the cap mod

The wires you are concerned with:

connector C1 pin A5 -PK/WH - Low Beam Relay Control
connector C2 pin E7 - PK - Headlamp On Indicator Control
connector C2 pin E11 - D-GN/WH - Fog Lamp Relay and Indicator Control

what you want to do is control the fog lights with the low beam control (but smooth the DRL PWM signal), and control the lows with the indicator bulb in the switch.

the first is accomplished by just re-directing the signal and using a capacitor. the second is done with a relay.

You will cut cut the A5 and E11 wires but just tap E7

View attachment 14819

View attachment 14818View attachment 14817

awesome man, I appreciate all the leg work you've done, and make it easy to follow. :thumbsup: So the exact result is what, fogs essentially always-on, full power. HID lows come on automatically at night or only by turning the headlight switch?

Edit: After re-reading, I may have confused myself. Are you saying the fogs will essentially "become" my low beams, and hence the DRLs, and my headlights will now be turned on only with the push-button fog light switch?

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
BINGA said:
awesome man, I appreciate all the leg work you've done, and make it easy to follow. :thumbsup: So the exact result is what, fogs essentially always-on, full power. HID lows come on automatically at night or only by turning the headlight switch?

Edit: After re-reading, I may have confused myself. Are you saying the fogs will essentially "become" my low beams, and hence the DRLs, and my headlights will now be turned on only with the push-button fog light switch?

I think your fogs become your DRLs and the headlights come on with the sensor (would be great with iffy HIDs that dont get enough power during the day)

What im wondering is if the fogs will still be activated by the button if you need them at night

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Mooseman said:

Heres where its confirmed (im hoping its right cause this is exactly what i want)

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Fogs will come on with DRLs, also perimeter lighting when parked. will function as the headlights do normally just without the low power switching

Lows will come on any time the BCM commands full lights. whether it be the light sensor or by turning the headlamp switch. not sure if they will turn off when flashing the highs, that's an experiment for you. :biggrin:

the fog lamp button is useless. fogs are always on. unless you turn the headlamp switch off, then it will kill all the lights.

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
jimmyjam said:
Fogs will come on with DRLs, also perimeter lighting when parked. will function as the headlights do normally just without the low power switching

Lows will come on any time the BCM commands full lights. whether it be the light sensor or by turning the headlamp switch. not sure if they will turn off when flashing the highs, that's an experiment for you. :biggrin:

the fog lamp button is useless. fogs are always on. unless you turn the headlamp switch off, then it will kill all the lights.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man! Also, the options are endless as to what I can use that fog lamp button to control in its place...:undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online