Drivers side ceiling mount speakers?

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
I have my amateur radio license and I like listening to truckers occasionally while driving for road reports. So I'm considering installing several speakers on the roof behind the drivers seat. I understand there is almost certainly a nice chunk of sheet metal between the B pillars to screw the mount onto. Is this correct? Any comments or suggestions?

I'm also going to be drilling several holes in the roof sheet metal to mount antennas using NMO mounts. Seems to me both projects will require lowering the interior ceiling so I should do both at the same time.

(I'm also going to be going overboard and installing several hood lip mount antennas too.)

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
You need to make sure the speakers won't be a hazard in a crash. A friend got clipped by a drunk at an intersection. While that in itself didn't inflict any injury the rapid spinning of his car caused his head to slam into the A-pillar resulting in a bad concussion.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Mark20 said:
You need to make sure the speakers won't be a hazard in a crash. A friend got clipped by a drunk at an intersection. While that in itself didn't inflict any injury the rapid spinning of his car caused his head to slam into the A-pillar resulting in a bad concussion.
Hmm, good point. Right behind the head would be fine as the headrest should take care of that. But the other ones would need to be out of the way and not be a hindrance to the rear seat psgr. Not that I have psgrs very often. Not a lot of leg room either back there.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I have a Radio Shack 4 inch (?) speaker tucked low in the passenger side of the center console. It is muffled sometimes. I've been thinking of relocating it.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Mark20 said:
I have a Radio Shack 4 inch (?) speaker tucked low in the passenger side of the center console. It is muffled sometimes. I've been thinking of relocating it.
These are 2" speakers I picked up on eBay for darned cheap. But they're going to have to be close to my ears so I can get decent sound.

That said there was an interesting thread on putting in an aux jack on the XM receiver cabling if my radio has such. I'll have to RTFM the manual. But I still like the idea of audio being on the left, centre and right so I can figure out which is which.

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
what about putting them in the b-pillar? If you don't use on* you could possibly replace the the on* speaker or mount them similarly below it.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
NighTblazer said:
what about putting them in the b-pillar? If you don't use on* you could possibly replace the the on* speaker or mount them similarly below it.
Mounting on the B pillar is an idea for one of them. I'll have to take another look tomorrow to ensure there is no possible way for my body to hit it though.

I didn't realize that on* had a speaker there. I never plan on using it so excellent idea. Thanks. I have one 2" speaker for sale now. :smile:

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
I've seen people mount them in a headliner, if you wanna cut you headliner.

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Porkins said:
I've seen people mount them in a headliner, if you wanna cut you headliner.
I don't understand what you mean. Do you cut holes in the headliner the same shape as your bracket to mount the bracket directly against the sheet metal?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
NighTblazer said:
There is no speaker or microphone in the b-pillar, for OnStar or any other option. If you see a grille near the driver's left ear, that's a tiny squirrel cage fan that draws in cabin air to a temperature sensor used by the high-end digital HVAC control system. Lots of folks guess it's a microphone, but that's in the overhead console so the OnStar and speakerphone system can pick up the voices from all occupants. OnStar and the speakerphone system use the normal entertainment system speakers.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
TonyT said:
I don't understand what you mean. Do you cut holes in the headliner the same shape as your bracket to mount the bracket directly against the sheet metal?

This, I've seen it done on a few SUVs. Thought it was a cool idea.

P1010041.jpg

TonyT

Original poster
May 6, 2012
Porkins said:
This, I've seen it done on a few SUVs. Thought it was a cool idea.
Now that is neat and tidy and looks a lot better than speakers with mounts, etc.

Thanks for the idea.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.