Driver Side Door Shell?

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I need a door shell/panel for the front driver side in my 2003 Envoy XL SLT. What models/years are interchangeable with this part? I have tried to figure it out from Ebay, but I get contradictory information. It seems to me like any Envoy or Envoy XL should work, but I am not sure.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
How about going to a pull-apart yard or salvage yard and pick their brains about this?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Dont know where you are, but its a really easy process to pull a door off of these trucks. 3-5 bolts, a wiring connector, and its off. At my local yard, its only 50 bucks for a COMPLETE door (window, motor, mirror, interior panel, wiring, switchs, etc). Thats going to be your cheapest option I would think.

The interchange model shows ONLY 2002-2004 (short or long) models. There was a was a change in the door check, and wiring in the later years.

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I am absolutely going to a wrecker. I can get that door panel off in a couple minutes easy - I just wasn't sure what to look for at the wrecker. If the interchange is only 2002-2004, I will try and stick to that. I don't actually need the wiring or controls, since those are okay, I just can't attach the panel anymore because the previous owner broke off the plastic areas where the panel screws to the door. I have the outside clips that attach the panel, but that is not strong enough without the screws that secure the middle of the panel to the metal door frame.l

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So just checking here.. Are you talking about the interior door panel (plastic), also known as a Door Card? or the Entire Door panel/shell (metal)?

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I gave you a interchange for the entire door (Metal part). And my interchange doesnt show interchange for interior soft parts. Cant help you on that one.

I would think the 2002-2004 for sure (short or long), and more than likely, all the way up until 2009. Nothing really changed that I can think of. Looking at pics, I cant see a difference...

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You've probably already Downloaded the 2002-2005 GM OEM Service Manual for the Trailblazer-Envoy SUVS. But if not... there is a Sub-PDF called DOORS.PDF that has everything necessary to know how to work on the Doors and may also have some dimensional data to clear up the matter:

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I gave you a interchange for the entire door (Metal part). And my interchange doesnt show interchange for interior soft parts. Cant help you on that one.

I would think the 2002-2004 for sure (short or long), and more than likely, all the way up until 2009. Nothing really changed that I can think of. Looking at pics, I cant see a difference...
I know, I had the same problem. Couldn't find any information for the interior parts as far as an interchange. I couldn't see a difference either. Had a friend who had a 2007 Envoy a while ago, and when I rode with him it sure looked the same.

I think I have lucked out - there is a wrecker just two hours from me that just got a wrecked 2003 XL last month, so I can be sure it will fit (although the interior color may not match, but I don't care).

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
You've probably already Downloaded the 2002-2005 GM OEM Service Manual for the Trailblazer-Envoy SUVS. But if not... there is a Sub-PDF called DOORS.PDF that has everything necessary to know how to work on the Doors and may also have some dimensional data to clear up the matter:

Thanks - I did have these but I lost them on my work computer when it was replaced. Didn't even realize it until you mentioned it now!

Reactions: mrrsm

linneje

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Of course life tends to always go like this....

So I wanted to be proactive and find out what would fit my 03 before going to a wrecker. Lucked out - wrecker has an '03 just in, so I make an appointment (COVID rules here) and can just make it there if I leave after work the next day. I tell my wife about my two hour drive to the wrecker, and she says she has a friend she want to visit right near the wrecker. My appointment is at 5:45, wrecker closes at six, supper at the friends at 6. Her friend has a meeting at 8, visit will be limited. No problem, right?

Arrive at the wrecker, I have my tools ready. Takes me to the vehicle, and he pulls out the door shell, already removed. 30 dollars, great deal. I think I have really lucked out. As I load it in my vehicle, he mentions that he has another Envoy too. What year?

'03. What is this one, I ask. '07! Now I already have the shell loaded, the money given, and the clock ticking for my wife's visit. Not a good feeling. What do I do? I look at the shell quickly, it sure doesn't look any different and decide that I have to chance it.

Finally get time to put it in today, so I give it a shot. Measure everything, and it is a perfect fit. Control module snaps in, same size cutout. Trim color is different, but it doesn't matter to me. I am never reselling. I already had some of the plastic clips to replace a couple of broken ones on the shell I bought, so it is in there solid. First time since I have had it that the door doesn't rattle because of the loose plastic.

So for anyone else doing this, it does seem like the model year does not matter for the shell. Although why the previous owner busted the two attachment points for the screws of the shell, I have no idea. It isn't that hard to get off if you just undo the two screws.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online