Door retainers

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Put all new (8) door retainers on inside door panel and not working with a shit. When I close door door panel comes off. I am getting pissed!! What the hell do i do?? I am bout ready just to leave the door panel off and figure it out when it gets warmer. Any suggestions.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Use the right size retainers? :wink: Are they pulling out of the door holes or the panel? Where did you get them?

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I bought them from the dealership. Well they had to order them.

crmcknight

Dec 16, 2011
silvernclean said:
I bought them from the dealership. Well they had to order them.

If your local dealer is anything like my local dealer - they're probably not the right ones. :mad:

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well I compared the old to the used one. And they are the right size.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Then, BY DEFINITION, they cannot be falling out. Either your dealer is wrong and got you the wrong part and you're not seeing the difference. Or the dealer got you the right part but the holes in your door have all suddenly been expanded by a door-hole-drilling-prankster when you're not looking to annoy you.

Occam's Razor suggests the first explanation is the simpler and more likely to be correct one. :wink:

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ha ha. I will figure somethin out.... thanks for being ur smart ass self roadie. Having a sinus infection and all, I needed a laugh. He he :thumbup:

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
Sorry about that, I stopped by your house and made all the holes in the door bigger when you weren't looking. I left a note but it probably blew away in the wind. I thought that's what you wanted. :rotfl: :raspberry:

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ha ha. Yea proly got buried in all the snow we got. Lol. Jerk

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I fixed the prob. Went to the hardware. Got some 3/8 bolts drilled 3/8 holes thru the door panel and bolted the damn thing on. Haha. Looks like ass for now but it won't come off. He he

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Why are you replacing them in the first place? Were the others pulling out?

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
I fixed the prob. Went to the hardware. Got some 3/8 bolts drilled 3/8 holes thru the door panel and bolted the damn thing on. Haha. Looks like ass for now but it won't come off. He he

:eek:
:crackup:

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
Why are you replacing them in the first place? Were the others pulling out?

Yea, some of the plastic tabs that hold the retainers broke off. Door panel is pretty flimsy and tabs kept coming out of holes. So now I will have to replace the inner door panel. So I decided to do it "my" way. Kinda ghetto but it'll get me by.

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Machine bolts, or lag bolts? I would DEFINITELY do lag bolts if mine came loose. Not ghetto, but a time-honored offroad solution. :thumbsup: Better than duct tape.

View attachment 3025

Machine bolts. Only because that's all they could find that was long enough but not too long. I really didn't wanna be too picky, get tired of the panel falling off when getting inside my truck. Kinda embarrasing. Lol

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Just learn to close the door by the lip at the window. I have a similar issue and that has been my successful solution.

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yea I was using the open handle on the inside. I probably don't wanna do that so much cuz my luck it'll put too much stress on it and break.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Sounds like you need to find some that are slightly larger. I had to do the same thing on my wife's van. I finally went to AutoZone and found clips for a Ford that was slightly larger in diameter and about the same length.

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
Sounds like you need to find some that are slightly larger. I had to do the same thing on my wife's van. I finally went to AutoZone and found clips for a Ford that was slightly larger in diameter and about the same length.

Cool. I will hafta do that. Well when I get my "new" panel from the salvage yard. Thanks!!

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
You could still make it look somewhat decent... Blackened pan-head bolts that take a small hex key. My local Ace hardware has all kinds of oddball items like that. Of course you'd want to do the other side to match, but it could give an interesting industrial look to your interior.

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
You could still make it look somewhat decent... Blackened pan-head bolts that take a small hex key. My local Ace hardware has all kinds of oddball items like that. Of course you'd want to do the other side to match, but it could give an interesting industrial look to your interior.

Yea that'd look different. If u seen it now ud die laughing!!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
silvernclean said:
Yea that'd look different. If u seen it now ud die laughing!!

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ok fellas I don't own a p.c. I am kinda busy with my kids b-day stuff so maybe I can post a pic later. :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online