Door "pops" when opened or closed.

DARKASS04EXT

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Whenever a coworker and i open our front dr doors they make 2 distinct "pops" while opening and closing. I have an 04 TB and she has an 03 Envoy. The same thing started on my 06 G6 but i was able to locate a loose hinge bracket on the G6. I cant find anything noticable with the TB/Envoy. Any ideas? I know other people have had to have this issue also.

Thanks

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
first look for the doorskin hitting the front fender when opening or closing.
if thats making the noise, then prob. a bent hinge. happenened to me a couple of times on my
03. all it takes is a good gust of wind while not holding on to the door to bend it.
a good body shop should be able to bend it back. (my local shop did N/C)

if that's not it, look at the door checks. they are just plastic and have been known to break.
also replaced one of those back when i had my 03 TB.
not a hard job. hardest part is getting the interior door panel off. :twocents:

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i'll put money on it being the door check. disconnect the side that connects to the body and see if the sound goes away.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Our old blazer needed new bushings in the door to fix this type issue.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
My money is on the door checks. Do the doors close really easy where even a slight gust of wind will close them?

DARKASS04EXT

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
i just compared the door check to the pass side and thats gotta be my problem. Where the door check connects to the hinge its pretty sloppy fitting, probably worn out from all the use. Is this an easy item to replace, makes it sound like my door is about to fall off.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
IIRC, not that hard. have to take off the interior panel of the door to get at the
nuts or bolts (can't remember) that hold one side of the door check inside of the door.
i think the hardest part is getting the panel off.

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
fletch09 said:
IIRC, not that hard. have to take off the interior panel of the door to get at the
nuts or bolts (can't remember) that hold one side of the door check inside of the door.
i think the hardest part is getting the panel off.

:iagree:

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
This thread motivated me to clean my hinges/door checks and re-lube them :biggrin:

I can always tell when my driver side door needs lube - it wont shut all of the way unless I almost slam it shut. Once I spray everything down, it shuts so easy I find myself slamming it the first few times because I grew used to using so much force from closing it before...lol

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
As others have said, pretty easy job. I don't remember off hand what these doors look like with the interior panels off, but it may be tricky to get your arm/hand inside of the door to replace the check depending on points of access. If that's the case, usually a good open spot would be to take the speaker out and use that hole.

The check itself is just 2 - 10mm nuts or bolts on the door side, and a 10mm or 13mm bolt on the body side. Here's a pic from a Colorado I worked on. (I'm a body man lol)

104_0651.jpg

2840Ryan

Dec 5, 2011
Mine is doing the same thing, I see the door check bar jumping when it pops. Where can I purchase one of these door checks? I checked autozone.come and rockauto.com and I can't seem to find it. Is 'door check' the proper name?

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
I don't know the "proper" name, but it's close enough. lol

It's probably a dealer only item, but it shouldn't be that expensive.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The check on my rear driver door sounds horrible sometimes, but it still works so I haven't screwed around with it. I just ignore any funny looks from people when I open that door :crazy:

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Our sound terrible too, but it's just 'cause we don't open the rear doors often. lol

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
JosueLT said:
Our sound terrible too, but it's just 'cause we don't open the rear doors often. lol

My driver door sounds terrible too, and I use it all the time!! That's the only one.

The door itself is pushed forward a little too and everybody says that there are adjustments, but I sure don't see any.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
The adjustments are on the body side of the door hinges. You'd probably need to take the fender off to access these with the door on still. Or, you could take the door off and see if you can get to the body side hinge bolts with the fender on.

Sounds like the door might have been hyper extended at some point in time? Maybe a gust of wind blew it open too hard once?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
JosueLT said:
The adjustments are on the body side of the door hinges. You'd probably need to take the fender off to access these with the door on still. Or, you could take the door off and see if you can get to the body side hinge bolts with the fender on.

There is one bolt on each hinge, but those only get loosened to remove the door. I've done it. The hinge itself is apparently welded on, both sides.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Ah...just looked at ours, indeed it is!

Little trick we use is, take a block of wood...a 2x4 6"-8" in length, and place it in between the door and the body right by the hinge. Then lightly apply pressure to the door, like you're trying to close it. Do it a little bit at a time so you don't bend the door too much, but see if that gets the door to come back some. And of course, make sure you do both hinges evenly.

2840Ryan

Dec 5, 2011
Well, since no one replied to my thread to answer my questions, I went to google and found what I needed. In case anyone else is looking for the part number, price, and where to purchase the door check, here's the info.

Correct name = Door Check
Part Number = 15196109 (drivers door)
Where to buy = Dealer = $87.93
Alternate place = GmPartsShop.com = $53.23

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Actually I think this thread is DARKASS04EXT's, not yours :tongue: But hey thanks for the info, should help out the OP and others who need it :thumbsup: Probably can use it to help find the part numbers for the other doors as well :undecided:

2840Ryan

Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
Actually I think this thread is DARKASS04EXT's, not yours :tongue: But hey thanks for the info, should help out the OP and others who need it :thumbsup: Probably can use it to help find the part numbers for the other doors as well :undecided:

Sparky, Good point. Your right, it is DARKASS04EXT's thread. Thanks for pointing that out and keeping me in check, I need that.

I hope this info will be helpful to others :smile:

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
2840Ryan said:
Sparky, Good point. Your right, it is DARKASS04EXT's thread. Thanks for pointing that out and keeping me in check, I need that.

I hope this info will be helpful to others :smile:

When you buy, does it come with the bracket for the 2-10mm bolts?

Guano

Jan 4, 2012
The door check arm is metal with a plastic skin, (seems Hard, like the pin which is def. Hardened). I drilled the end of mine out & put a (soft metal)bushing in there (while still on the truck)quieted it down for a year or so, will have to check(lol) it & 2 other clicky doors out when it gets warmer.

DARKASS04EXT

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I havent messed with this yet, i figured i'll wait til its nice out. I appreciate everyones help. :thumbsup:

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
If you find you need a new driver side door check, I actually have a used one at work I can send you. :thumbsup:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
JosueLT said:
If you find you need a new driver side door check, I actually have a used one at work I can send you. :thumbsup:

Hey if you still have this I definitely need one IF the person above doesn't take you up on this. Let me know! :biggrin:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I am gonna add my experience here. All I did was removed the oval dust caps on the inside edge of each door and squirted WD-40 on the check rollers and the squeaking creaking noise is gone.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
willn513 said:
Hey if you still have this I definitely need one IF the person above doesn't take you up on this. Let me know! :biggrin:

Sure thing!

pejeeper

Jan 27, 2012
CaptainXL said:
I am gonna add my experience here. All I did was removed the oval dust caps on the inside edge of each door and squirted WD-40 on the check rollers and the squeaking creaking noise is gone.

Same here, but I use silicone and spray a good amount, then swing the door open & closed a few dozen times, stopping to give another spray or 2 depending on the noises it makes.

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
If anyone else has a spare driver's side, let me know. It's $90 + 13% tax here in Toronto. Thanks.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
Getting pretty tired of hearing this noise on my drivers door. Just ordered the part from gmpartsdirect.com, $62.38 delivered. That's the cheapest I could find, anywhere. Short of the junk yard...

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Wishbone said:
Getting pretty tired of hearing this noise on my drivers door. Just ordered the part from gmpartsdirect.com, $62.38 delivered. That's the cheapest I could find, anywhere. Short of the junk yard...

So you tried to lube the check rollers and they still squeak?

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
When I needed the one for my DRIVER's, I bought the PASSENGER side (cheaper) and flipped it around.:wink:

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
CaptainXL said:
So you tried to lube the check rollers and they still squeak?

Yeah, I tried all that stuff. The real problem is that the hole where the door check attaches to the A pillar is worn out and is oval shape. No amount of lube is going to fix that...

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
My new door check came in the mail today. Inside was this note thanking me for the purchase with a special promo code that I'm free to share with friends. Too bad it EXPIRED YESTERDAY... :confused::mad:View attachment 23376

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350426965343.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350426965343.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 10

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
New door check installed. Ahhh, nice and quiet now.

misterhyde

Oct 14, 2012
Wishbone said:
New door check installed. Ahhh, nice and quiet now.

Did you happen to compare old to new? Is there some nylon missing or getting worn out? I too have tried several types of lubrication. Almost ready to just squeeze some grease in the rollers.
It also is only the bad doors that are bad. especially now that its started to get colder out here in Michigan.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
Menthol said:
When I needed the one for my DRIVER's, I bought the PASSENGER side (cheaper) and flipped it around.:wink:
True, it has markings on the rod showing left and right side installations.

misterhyde said:
Did you happen to compare old to new? Is there some nylon missing or getting worn out? I too have tried several types of lubrication. Almost ready to just squeeze some grease in the rollers.
It also is only the bad doors that are bad. especially now that its started to get colder out here in Michigan.

I didn't notice any wear on the rod, I think mechanism inside the metal housing is worn out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online