Door Lock Not Turning Suddenly

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Yesterday it was fine, this morning I took some jiggling, and now it's not turning at all now matter how long I sit there and mess with it. In GM's infinite wisdom the passenger door doesn't have a lock so the drivers door lock is the only one. What do I do now? lol the key works fine in ignition so not an issue with the key. Thanks in advance!

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Hello

Unless the component broke i wouldn't know what it would be.

Before you go tearing into the door panel, you can try picking up a can of door lock lube like pictured below. It maybe dried up...
1467834380198.jpg

Make sure what ever you pick up has Graphite in it.

Hope this helps!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
No keyless entry?

Hm... Makes me wonder if my door's keyhole ever worked, I hadn't used it in years
blinkhuh.gif

Come to think of it, I haven't tried my Silverado's key hole either.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Sorry, forgot what thread I was in. :duh:

But more on topic, I think I've only used the key hole maybe once in the last 3 years. Should probably try it more often to prevent a bad situation if keyless entry craps out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Like me on my Saab, never tried the key since I bought it, always used the RKE. Then in winter, I started it with the key to warm it up and locked the doors while I went in to the office. Came back, RKE wouldn't unlock the door (some weird thing with Saab only because this trick worked with the TB). Tried the key, frozen solid, tried everything, WD40, Lock Lube, nothing worked. At 3AM, only option left was a tow truck to break into it ($140 :mad:). When I later checked the lock itself, the tumblers were corroded solid. Nothing could free it up. Wound up replacing it with one from the pick-a-part off a Voy (key was stuck in ignition :biggrin:) so I have a different key for the door.

Reactions: Redbeard

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Wrench-LLD03-Lubricant-Icer/

Bought me some of this stuff at O'reilly and it's like new now :smile:

How do I add a passenger side key hole to prevent this issue in the future? Was it an option? Perhaps I can swap out a passenger size handle/lock unit from a 'voy with the option?

Also, I supposedly also have RKE but previous owner lost the thing. Do I get that at the dealership?

Reactions: RTTBLT1

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Last edited:

triz

Apr 22, 2013
You might have the wrong truck! It happens when you get old. :blinkhuh:

Reactions: Mounce

ddgm

May 7, 2013
The passenger door key lock was supplied on vehicles without keyless entry.
Few and far between but they do exist.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
@Wishbone might have a passenger keyhole then because his was as barebones as they get.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They should have called it the ELS (Even Less Stuff) :dielaugh:

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Great! I ordered the pair of key fobs from eBay... I'm 100% sure it has keyless entry since previous owner told me he had it but that the thingies were long lost.

I guess I'll give up a passenger side key hole if it was not a popular option. At least I will have some redundancy with drivers door lock + RKE.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Lock is still working great, but I got my key fobs, and keyless entry works great. That's the first time I've ever had it :smile: I think I'll use keyless entry as much as possible to prevent wear on the lock, but I will still use it once in a while to prevent it from seizing up.

Reactions: Redbeard and ddgm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online