Doing "Big 3" but not sure which HO Alt

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Ok, so my TB is an 06 4.2L that has an engine from an 07. All the accessories are from my 06 but here is my question..

Did they change the alt in 05? 06? or 07? I see some listed as 2003-05, 2003-06, 2006, 2006-09, 2007-09... So is the 06 some weird stand alone beast or will the earlier or later models work?

If I missed something on the forum, my bad.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
They are all the same thing. Nothing changed. I don't think the later models were switched to use those load sensors that detect the amount of current being pulled through the charge wire of the alternator. I went with mechman when I got my alternator. I am on my second one from them on this truck (the first one probably had a bad bearing and would squeak if you spun it backwards straight out of the box and eventually the rear bearing, the spacers for the balls within it had broke apart and blew the bearing out. I still have the stator, diodes and rectifier for it since those were just fine, only the case and the brush contacts on the stator were damaged which is an easy fix if I could get my hands on a new case.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
When I ordered my mechman I had to confirm if the connector was a 4 pin or 2 pin. Earlier ones like mine are 4 pin, later models with the fancy GBCM (clamp thingy around negative battery cable) are 2 pin. The 4 pin only has 2 wires but the connector has 4 slots. The 2 pin only has two wires/slots.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online