Does anyone see any benefit to removing motor mount bracket?

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
In order to replace the motor mount? I have read that one member removed his top bracket because it was cracked & proceeded to do the same on the other side. It allowed him to not have to lift the motor as much to get the mounts in. I am proposing to remove the lower brackets, as the bolts are easily accessible. Seems like after removing the top nut, lifting the engine slightly & removing the lower bracket with the motor mount. Install the new mount on the lower bracket & reinstalling the assy., lowering the engine & installing the top nut.
The advantages, as I see it, are;

Minimal lifting of the engine.
Most of the work done from the side (bracket bolts) & from above (top nut).

One concern is whether there's enough room to get the lower bracket, with motor mount attached, out of there.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
kev

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
bugeyed said:
In order to replace the motor mount? I have read that one member removed his top bracket because it was cracked & proceeded to do the same on the other side. It allowed him to not have to lift the motor as much to get the mounts in. I am proposing to remove the lower brackets, as the bolts are easily accessible. Seems like after removing the top nut, lifting the engine slightly & removing the lower bracket with the motor mount. Install the new mount on the lower bracket & reinstalling the assy., lowering the engine & installing the top nut.
The advantages, as I see it, are;

Minimal lifting of the engine.
Most of the work done from the side (bracket bolts) & from above (top nut).

One concern is whether there's enough room to get the lower bracket, with motor mount attached, out of there.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
kev

question about if theres enough room i can help on. i plan on doing motor mounts soon just doing research to figure out if i can be confident enough to do it. Downloaded repair manual from thos site. it tells you to remove the bracket:

Removal Procedure
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and
Connection .

2. Disconnect the fan clutch electrical connector.

3. Using J 46406 remove the cooling fan clutch from the water pump pulley and leave loose inside of the
fan shroud.

4. Remove the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor electrical connector and the retainer (1).

5. Remove the MAP sensor (2).

6. Remove the left shock module, if frame mount is being removed. Refer to Shock Absorber and Spring

7. Remove the right and the left upper engine mount nuts (1).

8. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .

9. Remove the right and the left lower engine mount nuts.

10. Remove the engine protection shield. Refer to Engine Protection Shield Replacement .

11. Lower the vehicle and place a floor jack under the oil pan with a block of wood.

12. Raise the engine with the jack just enough to clear the engine mount stud.

13. Remove the left engine mount to bracket nut (1) and the mount from the bracket.
oil level sender.

14. Remove the left engine mount bracket bolts (1).

15. Remove the left engine mount bracket.

16. Remove the left frame engine mount bracket bolts.

17. Remove the left frame engine mount bracket, if required.
Installation Procedure

so im going to assume from those that it will fit..... again just what i found during research i have no hands on expierience yet

bugeyed

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
The way I read the shop manual, is that they remove everything associated with the mounts. Members have indicated that the fan clutch removal is unnecessary. Just loosen the shroud. The manual says to remove both brackets and several sensors. When I first referred to the shop manual, I was hoping that it would recommend a procedure that required the minimum disassembling to get the mounts out, instead it just describes how to remove everything attached to the mounts. The manual is helpful for showing where the parts are, but the contributions on members here are much more helpful in minimizing unnecessary work.

Cheers,
kev

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
bugeyed said:
The way I read the shop manual, is that they remove everything associated with the mounts. Members have indicated that the fan clutch removal is unnecessary. Just loosen the shroud. The manual says to remove both brackets and several sensors. When I first referred to the shop manual, I was hoping that it would recommend a procedure that required the minimum disassembling to get the mounts out, instead it just describes how to remove everything attached to the mounts. The manual is helpful for showing where the parts are, but the contributions on members here are much more helpful in minimizing unnecessary work.

Cheers,
kev

you are correct as there are many shortcuts people learn through expierience. i just did my girlfriends timing belt/water pump on a 99 camry using the manual as i went through the steps alot of it i found out at the end wasnt absolutly nessecary but did help in its own little way but could have saved time by bypassing it wich i know for next time....(12 hours to finish it lonnngg dayy)

for the motor mounts for some reason i was amazed it told us to use a block and jack from oil pan. that for some reason did not sound like a good idea when i first read a post on here about motor mount job.. there are alot of very experienced and smart members on this site so just do some searching and you can get all the info you need on pretty much everything.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online