Do I have a PCM chip or tune?

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Hey guys,

Believe it or not, I had never floored my Trailblazer until this week.

I'm back home in the desert where the roads are wide, smooth, and empty. So, I finally decided to have some fun with. I am really impressed with how fast this truck is. In fact, I think it is super duper quick on the takeoff.

I pushed her to the limits. 0-60, 0-90, 30-90, slaloms, etc...

I also drove my friend's Jag XK8, and Caddy STS this week too. The Cadillac sucked, but I felt that there was minimal difference between my TB and the Jag.

The owner before me was a mechanic in the Army. He did a lot of work on the truck and took exceptional care of it.

I tried to call him, but his number was out of service. How do I determine if he upgraded to a performance chip of some sort?

Thanks

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Performance chips do NOT work on our trucks. He could have got a tune.

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Short Bus said:
Performance chips do NOT work on our trucks. He could have got a tune.

Whatever it's called. I don't have the exact vocabulary.

Just wanna know if there's a way to figure out if he did it, or if I'm just easily impressed by my TB's capabilities.

Most of what I hear is that the EXTs can be sluggish and handle less well than the shorter models. I feel fine with the way it handles, but this is also my first SUV or truck. Have only had cars before.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
The stock engine computer tune limits the RPMs to 4000 or so when in neutral or park. The PCMforless.com tune lets the engine go to redline or close to it. That would be one way to tell.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mark20 said:
The stock engine computer tune limits the RPMs to 4000 or so when in neutral or park. The PCMforless.com tune lets the engine go to redline or close to it. That would be one way to tell.

That's only if you ask to have the limiter removed.

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Mark20 said:

So, coasting in neutral, while flooring it, the RPMs max out at around 3800.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
steven76 said:
The Cadillac sucked, but I felt that there was minimal difference between my TB and the Jag.

Holy crap! The lower center of gravity must be different :eek: ! I bet the Jag could smoke the trailblazer in the twisties!

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
Holy crap! The lower center of gravity must be different :eek: ! I bet the Jag could smoke the trailblazer in the twisties!

The twisties are DEFINITELY better in the Jag...
This STS is a V6, which explains the lack of power. I'm guessing that a V8 might be pretty sweet

I didn't notice much difference when flooring it and taking it up to 60 or 90 from when I was already coasting at about 20-30. But, for sure, doing 0-70 in the Jag is quite snappy and would leave my Trailblazer in a cloud of dust.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
seanpooh said:
I know my PCM was tuned if I still can get to 105mph instead of the stock 95mph.

A tolled expressway in my area is rumored to goto 85Mph. Limited to 95 Mph is going to be difficult if trying to pass. :smile:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
While I do not advocate this sort of speed in a truck on a public road, ours are governed to about 105mph.

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
The only place I ever go above 70 is coming home, on the I-10 East, between Cabazon and Palm Springs. For some reason, everyone becomes a speed-demon through that pass. I will go 80, and people pass me as if I'm sitting still.

But, I have not been above 90 in my Trailblazer. Guess I'm to sissy to do it.

View attachment 21323

Matt said:
While I do not advocate this sort of speed in a truck on a public road, ours are governed to about 105mph.

Wex said:
A tolled expressway in my area is rumored to goto 85Mph. Limited to 95 Mph is going to be difficult if trying to pass. :smile:

Attachments

• 13626500.jpg
    13626500.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 171

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
steven76 said:
The only place I ever go above 70 is coming home, on the I-10 East, between Cabazon and Palm Springs. For some reason, everyone becomes a speed-demon through that pass. I will go 80, and people pass me as if I'm sitting still.

But, I have not been above 90 in my Trailblazer. Guess I'm to sissy to do it.

View attachment 7439

Nice pic, That looks familiar to me! I guess I drove that strech of hiway before:confused:. I rented a car in Scottsdale, drove to Vegas, then to Santa Monica (stayed at Shutters on the Beach) and then back to Scottdale via Palm Springs. One of my Dad's best friend lives on a hillside in Palm Springs, think he had a horse farm that belonged to Frank Sinatra or something like that too. Oh and he married a Playboy Bunny! Maybe you even know him.

steven76

Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
I found that picture on Google Images, but it looks like it is the stretch of I-10, heading East, between the turnoff for Highway 111 and the exit for Whitewater.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=+33°...C2wWpjOGOCw&oi=geocode_result&ved=0CAsQ8gEwAA

I was born and raised in the desert, met many people over the years, even some of the Sinatras. But I moved to LA 9 years ago and don't know too many people around here any more.

Denali n DOO said:
Nice pic, That looks familiar to me! I guess I drove that strech of hiway before:confused:. I rented a car in Scottsdale, drove to Vegas, then to Santa Monica (stayed at Shutters on the Beach) and then back to Scottdale via Palm Springs. One of my Dad's best friend lives on a hillside in Palm Springs, think he had a horse farm that belonged to Frank Sinatra or something like that too. Oh and he married a Playboy Bunny! Maybe you even know him.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
That's only if you ask to have the limiter removed.
Ah, that's right. Forgot about that option.

steven76 said:
So, coasting in neutral, while flooring it, the RPMs max out at around 3800.
Sounds like stock tune.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
Matt said:

flat out (closed course naturally) I found out that my '04 LS tops out at 109...could this be a fluke?

(didn't mean to thread jack)

between Phoenix and Palm Springs, i've took my RC51 through there a few times...yes higher than normal speeds and it was great :wootwoot:

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Probably it was just the 2002 models that maxed out at 95mph. All I know is that PCM4Less upped it to 105mpg.

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
steven76 said:
Hey guys,

Believe it or not, I had never floored my Trailblazer until this week.

I'm back home in the desert where the roads are wide, smooth, and empty. So, I finally decided to have some fun with. I am really impressed with how fast this truck is. In fact, I think it is super duper quick on the takeoff.

I pushed her to the limits. 0-60, 0-90, 30-90, slaloms, etc...

I also drove my friend's Jag XK8, and Caddy STS this week too. The Cadillac sucked, but I felt that there was minimal difference between my TB and the Jag.

The owner before me was a mechanic in the Army. He did a lot of work on the truck and took exceptional care of it.

I tried to call him, but his number was out of service. How do I determine if he upgraded to a performance chip of some sort?

Thanks

I'm think if you shoot PCM4LESS.com an email or call them they may be able to tell you if you have a tune just based off of your VIN., its worth a shot Good Luck.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
seanpooh said:
Probably it was just the 2002 models that maxed out at 95mph. All I know is that PCM4Less upped it to 105mpg.

Mine's an 02 and it saw over 95...bone stock at the time.

Wahugg

Dec 4, 2011
My 04 is limited to 105mph with a stock computer.
I can also free rev in neutral if I am over 20~ mph. Bellow that it starts to limit the max revs slowly down to 3800~.

-Wahugg

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
seanpooh said:

All SWBs (SS/Aero exempt) have a 107mph speed limiter from GM. That is what is programmed in EVERY PCM, ECM, and/or TCM from 02-09 (P10, P12, E67/T42). If you can only go 105 or can go 109, its the difference in tire size and/or gearing. GM put 1 value for the limiter and it is 107mph.

SSs are limited to 130, I imagine the Aero is as well (havent looked at an Aero tune).

LWB trucks are limited to 99mph (99% sure, if not then 101mph) from GM.

My 02 pulled hard to 107mph before EFILive released all of the speed limiter tables, now it goes faster. Takes forever to get above 110-115, and now that its lifted (even with a swaybar and new shocks), I dont drive it that fast. Thats what the SS is for! :cool:

To the OP, sounds like you have a stock tune to me. And I like that pic, my parents have a condo in La Quinta so they head down there a few times a year and plan to retire down there in a few years. Do you live in LA, or in the desert? Next time Im down there Ill bring my EFILive hardware, I can pull your tune and tell you if its stock or not.

tokahao

Dec 9, 2011
Mark20 said:

I was very close to purchasing a tune last night until I read this post. I bought my '05 used back in '07 and I have been pretty happy with its performance, however, there are sooo many recommendations for this upgrade. Rev'd the engine while coasting in Neutral this morning and it shot past 4K pretty easily. Gonna e-mail PCMForLess to see if they have a record of my VIN; hopefully so! :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online