Do all GMC Envoys have ABS?

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
There is no ABS warning light on the dash so I'm assuming it works right but I can easily squeal the tires on the GMC Envoy by hard braking, whereas in previous vehicles braking hard would make the ABS do its thing by making the pedal vibrate and no tire squeal. Apparently ABS is standard, so maybe the ABS in the GMC Envoy is just slower than I'm used to? I mean, the obvious solution is to maintain a safe following distance and not have to slam the brakes on so hard, but that's no fun :tongue:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If I'm not mistaken, they all have it. Maybe the previous owner killed the light because the ABS isn't working?

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
If I'm not mistaken, they all have it. Maybe the previous owner killed the light because the ABS isn't working?

Alright, so I should have ABS, like it though.

Should I be able to screech the tires by slamming on the brakes? I guess that is the real question here.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If you really slam the brakes I find that the abs decides to not really do anything... it pulses but the tires lock up... but the truck stays straight which I guess means its doing its job.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I've screeched the tires on my voy once when I got cut off doing about 80mph. ABS didn't kick in at all. No lights on but the voy did her thing bringing it to almost a dead stop with in a few feet of a fatal rear ending.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Real test would be on loose gravel and slam the brakes. If on asphalt it doesn't lock up but is squealing ever so slightly, you're threashold braking, not enough to kick on the ABS, which is ideal braking, better than ABS.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Your envoy has ABS. Every passenger vehicle manufactured since 1991 has atleast two wheel ABS.

That being said, after two years of ownership, i have only engaged the brakes hard enough on dry pavement once to make the ABS engage. It worked well.

Reactions: xavierny25
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
The entire GMT360 platform is equipped with four wheel ABS as standard. To date I've never slammed my brakes hard enough to activate the system. The system isn't as sophisticated as it was in my 01 Volvo S60 with advanced DSTC (Dynamic Stability Control), I prefer this platform's system as it's less intrusive.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Every passenger vehicle manufactured since 1991 has atleast two wheel ABS

Well not exactly. My son's '02 Neon has no ABS. But then again, it is a POS Neon.
From Wikipedia:
ABS are required on all new passenger cars sold in the EU since 2004. In the United States, the NHTSA has mandated ABS in conjunction with Electronic Stability Control under the provisions of FMVSS 126 as of September 1, 2011.[24]

Reactions: Mounce

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Screeching tires doesn't necessarily mean the wheels have locked up. You can be braking hard enough that they're making noise but still turning so the ABS doesn't fire. Been there, done that with my 02.

Try slamming the brakes on hard on a slick road (really wet, or later this year when the snow flies), that will help tell you if the ABS is actually working or not.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
For the longest time ABS was a misunderstood high-cost option. Trucks really didn't have four wheel ABS until the '94 Ram 1500 and '97 F-150 and the GMT800 Silverado/Sierra in '99. The '88 GMT400 Chevy half-ton pickup had it as an option.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The entire GMT360 platform is equipped with four wheel ABS as standard. To date I've never slammed my brakes hard enough to activate the system. The system isn't as sophisticated as it was in my 01 Volvo S60 with advanced DSTC (Dynamic Stability Control), I prefer this platform's system as it's less intrusive.

Not really. Not sure when the change was (IIRC, the change was in the 2006 model year), but the early trucks were more like 3 wheel ABS. The two front wheels had separate sensors and the rear axle had one sensor covering both wheels.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For GMT360, it was in '06.

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
I believe that the ABS will only engage if it detects one or more wheels turning at a different speed than the others during a braking event. That's why hard braking on a dry surface will probably not engage the ABS.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Good point. If all wheels are locked up at the same time as far as the vehicle is concerned you're "stopped." The only way it knows if the wheel(s) are locked up is if others are still rotating.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't know, I've had it where there's no more pedal travel and it just locks. No abs. But now since all sensors work correctly it may not do that...

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
I believe that the ABS will only engage if it detects one or more wheels turning at a different speed than the others during a braking event. That's why hard braking on a dry surface will probably not engage the ABS.

Good point. If all wheels are locked up at the same time as far as the vehicle is concerned you're "stopped." The only way it knows if the wheel(s) are locked up is if others are still rotating.

Very good point. Im surprised my over analytical brain did not think of that.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Makes sense to me - guess I won't worry about it :smile: The ABS light does test itself just fine when I turn the key!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online