Disconnecting Onstar

johnptfisher

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
How do you disconnect the Onstar system and will it have any ill side effects in doing so?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If I remember correctly, you just unplug the onstar box under the passenger back seat. And if I am still remembering correctly, it does nothing bad to the truck at all.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Then how will the NSA know where you are? :biggrin:

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
the only ill effect would be if you paid and crashed, it would not send a phone call for help.

or find you stolen car. or the other stuff.

if it is installed and operational, they will answer the call if you push the button, even if you do not have a paid subscription.

your call if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Onstar is only one of many ways you could be tracked.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He didn't say the reason he was disconnecting Onstar. Could be one of the old analog ones (like mine) that is totally useless now and just wants to save some battery juice. Easiest would be to just pull the fuse.

Not sure if it would work without an active account. Maybe dialing 911 or the emergency button (I believe it has to by law) but for anything else, I dunno. As for tracking without your consent, Onstar did try to change their terms and allow them sharing of data to anybody they wanted even if you don't have an account. Carfax and insurance companies come to mind that would like this info. They reversed their decision but can we still trust them?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TollKeeper said:
If I remember correctly, you just unplug the onstar box under the passenger back seat. And if I am still remembering correctly, it does nothing bad to the truck at all.

Thats what I did with mine three or four years ago and no problems. I still want to remove it for added storage space.

johnptfisher

Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
I talked to Onstar and they told me unless I paid for the service, it was completely unusable. I have (until Sep. 25) a trial period to use onstar and I have not once used it for a good reason. I have a cell phone and if I need directions, I will either use maps or call someone. If I am in an accident, we have a ton of cell phone commandos out there that will more than likely see me and call someone. As far as removing it, I would like to do that as well, 1) for more space and less battery drain and 2) I really don't like the idea of someone seeing where I am at or sharing information on my driving habits. I'm not going to pay $36 a month for something I have no reason to use. It's like paying for insurance the only difference is the law mandates that I pay for it and there are really more benefits to insurance than Onstar.

The main reason I posted this thread is to get exactly what I am looking for under the rear seat and what I need to disconnect to completely disable the Onstar system. Pictures would be great if someone has some floating around. Also, I am looking to find a NON-Onstar mirror with auto dimming, compass and thermometer. Is this possible to add to an LS?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
The OnStar box has 2 electrical harness connectors, and two antenna connectors - one for the GPS and the other for cell service. It shouldn't be too hard to disconnect. The box itself has some plastic clips holding it in place.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.