Disable OnStar tracking 2020+

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just posting this here as there wasn't a whole lot of info on how to do this on the newer trucks. I've been wanting to completely disable it on my 2021 GMC Sierra but all I have found was a YT video on how to unplug the antennas, which is not the best method as it's still active, collecting data and can still connect to a cell tower if close enough to it.

Found the fuse that totally disables it, which also disables the built in GPS. It's a 10A fuse called TCP. In my case, it's in position #42. Pulled it and the OnStar button doesn't come on or activate when pushed, the on-screen system says it has a connection error and the GPS symbol at the bottom of the screen has a red slash across it. My phone can still connect to the system via Bluetooth and use Android Auto.

Reasons for doing this are varied. I have read some stories that GM may be selling/sharing driving info to insurance companies and may also be collecting data to follow owner's driving habits. There is also speculation that when you connect your phone to your vehicle via Bluetooth, it can also collect data from it. I don't use OnStar so I'd rather not have it at all.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Reasons for doing this are varied. I have read some stories that GM may be selling/sharing driving info to insurance companies and may also be collecting data to follow owner's driving habits. There is also speculation that when you connect your phone to your vehicle via Bluetooth, it can also collect data from it. I don't use OnStar so I'd rather not have it at all.
Definitely the smart move. Given the ever increasing cost/profit pressures car manufacturers are under we should always assume that any and every opportunity to monetize any aspect of the car buying & ownership experience will be leveraged to the hilt. Things are moving to the cell phone model.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just found out that some apps may also be collecting and selling driving data.

I use GasBuddy however I'm logged in with a junk email address so they shouldn't make the association with me. I turned off the data collection shit in it.

gmonly

Feb 14, 2023
USA

I use GasBuddy however I'm logged in with a junk email address so they shouldn't make the association with me. I turned off the data collection shit in it.
Even when you connect your phone to the car through the Bluetooth, it collects your info, driving, texts, apps and calls info. They collect your info at every turn. Just look to the sky, they are watching you too. There is nothing you can do to stop it. By turning off the OnStar, they will search for other methods, and they will find a way. The good part about turning off the OnStar, they can not charge you for using your phone through the Bluetooth.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The good part about turning off the OnStar, they can not charge you for using your phone through the Bluetooth.
They never did and they never had a reason to because OnStar stopped supporting making phone calls except to OnStar support.

Google could grab vehicle info through Android Auto however they have said they don't sell or share data to third parties. And we all know they already use our location and search data for advertising. What I was most worried was sharing info with insurance which GM was doing until public outrage made them stop.

gmonly

Feb 14, 2023
USA
They never did and they never had a reason to because OnStar stopped supporting making phone calls except to OnStar support.

Google could grab vehicle info through Android Auto however they have said they don't sell or share data to third parties. And we all know they already use our location and search data for advertising. What I was most worried was sharing info with insurance which GM was doing until public outrage made them stop.
OnStar stated they stopped that in Feb, 2014, yes, Google is just as guilty of the sharing your data

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
OnStar stated they stopped that in Feb, 2014
That was the first time. They tried a second time as per the article I posted.

After The New York Times revealed that General Motors was sharing driving behavior with LexisNexis, customers filed dozens of lawsuits and the carmaker ended its contract with the data broker. But data is still being collected from other automakers and it is still being collected from apps.

gmonly

Feb 14, 2023
USA
That was the first time. They tried a second time as per the article I posted.
I am not going to create an account just to read an article. It's bad enough that I have to remember 1000s of passwords now. According to the OnStar website, they state you do not need OnStar connected, to make calls or use Bluetooth with your phone to your car stereo.

Realism

Nov 25, 2015
Idaho

I wonder if this is why all of a sudden my iphone little gps location icon comes up randomly now since I paired it with my Truck. Truck wont be running and i might be a ways away, and it does it. It has never done it before and no app is showing up as culprit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johncouey

Members Online