dims and stays dark.

qbenplaya00

Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
hello guys. my rear view mirror (inside on windshield) dims automatically BUT way too fast and it stays dark (sometimes i cannot even see back from it). i, since buying car, have given it to my wife to drive and that's her biggest complain doesn't matter if its day or night... if there is light shining on it or not.... is there a button up there that i can control that? i would like it better if it DIDN't dim just because it gets really hard to look though it. thanks guys/gals.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
What year? (Please fill out your profile) That will help us look up the manual for that year and see what it says. Does your manual not mention an off switch? IIRC some years have a switch for the electrochromic mirror, but I may be misremembering.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Straight from the manual:

The automatic dimming feature is turned on and off by pressing the far left button, located on the lower part of the mirror face, for up to three seconds. A light on the mirror will be lit when the feature is turned on. It will go out when the feature is turned off.

qbenplaya00

Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
Matt said:
Straight from the manual:

thank you. i will try as soon as wife comes home from work with it. man... i didnt want to start pressing buttons on there since its connected with Onstar and what not.

qbenplaya00

Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
thanks guys... it seems to happen every time i start the car... (the dimming) so i would have to always hold it down for 3 sec.s and it turns it off.... but i was looking for a more of an "always off" solution.... this thing gets TOO dark for us.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well there are 2 options here really..

1) do you use your OnStar? If Yes, continue on to 2. If no, read on... Unplug the plug from the back of the mirror. While you are at it, unplug the module under the rear passenger seat.. This will stop the function of the auto dimming mirror, and also disable the OnStar partially.

2) You use your OnStar.. The sensor in the mirror has probably gone bad. Search around on ebay for a used replacement, ask on the forums.. or if you dont want to risk it, get a new one from the Dealer.

EDIT: I also remember reading somewhere that the function of the dimming mirror was tied into the auto headlights on function. Does it also Auto dim during the day time? This might be a bad light sensor in the dash..

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
A quick and dirty way to keep it permanitly off, is it cover the sensor, if light can not get to it, it will not darken.

The sensor is the small round dot at the top centre of the mirror glass.

qbenplaya00

Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
will try all of the above....

no i do not use my onstar

yes it dims every time you turn the key.. day or night.

covering sensor i tired... might be bad sensor.. i rather just unplug it for now since we dont like that feature anyway. (bad vision both of us) :rotfl:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If you dont use your on star, thats what I would do. There is a guy selling a OnStar mirror in the Classifieds i saw tonight.

If you have the compass/Temp sensor thing in your mirror, once you unplug it, you loose both of those.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
What conditions cause the mirror to dim? I have a dimming mirror, but it seems like it only dims in certain situations, and not always when there are bright lights behind me at night. In the evening sun, it'll dim when I have all the windows and sunroof open.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
DenaliHD66 said:
What conditions cause the mirror to dim? I have a dimming mirror, but it seems like it only dims in certain situations, and not always when there are bright lights behind me at night. In the evening sun, it'll dim when I have all the windows and sunroof open.

Mine only dims when it's dark. The sensor is on the backside of the mirror, drivers side facing the windscreen. It is a bit sensative, so sometimes you'll wonder why it dims. Put your finger over it and you'll eventually see it dim. They did that instead of using that flip lever that most rearview mirrors have.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online