Differential Fluid...open fill plug and it comes pouring out? Your thoughts?

Rogue92

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
My plan this week has been to do the rear differential fluid change this weekend and my Royal Purple gear oil will not get here until tomorrow, so I decided to try to see how stuck the fill plug would be (I have an '06, so no drain plug). I picked up a nice, longer set of differential plugs today at the new Harbor Freight store.

I finally coaxed the fill plug loose (looks like it was never opened...rusty, and stubborn, took a few hammer strikes), and what do I find? Fluid starts spurting out of it! I had jacked up the rear passenger side in my driveway (very slight incline) so I could fit under it without taking the spare off. Do you guys think it was overfilled? Wondering if someone or GM filled it up with that tube that comes out of the top of the differential because the fill plug was stuck. I was surprised, I managed to get the plug back in without loosing too much....I know it was less 1/4 of a quart of fluid.

Bottom line: was the fluid shifted because I jacked it up? I jacked it up on the same side as the plug, so I would think the fluid would be shifted slightly to the other side. I'm still puzzled why it came gushing out like it did...wonder if someone overfilled it or the factory did? What are your thoughts?

PS I'm tempted to drive my old pickup truck the next two days in case somehow the fluid was shifted forward in the differential and there's not that much fluid in there....won't know for sure until I drain it and refill it Saturday afternoon/evening. Feel free to tell me if I'm worrying about nothing....a multi hundred dollar axle repair is the thing keeping me spooked if I lost too much fluid.

Here's an attached image of some of the fluid on the ground...got a lot down my arm. :hissyfit:

Here's the link...apparently it doesn't like me using a JPEG image on here.
http://gmtnation.com/forums/gallery/image/330-dif-fluid/

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
The fluid probably came out because it wasn't level. I doubt if you lost sufficient to worry about.

Reactions: Rogue92

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
The fluid wasn't level but the lowest point would had been the same side the fill plug was. You can only fill so much though the fill plug until inevitable it was spew out before putting the plug back on. It probably was over filled because those diffs only hold 2 quarts.

Less than 1/4 quart loss isn't too bad. I looked at the pic. You should be worried if there was no fluid in it at all. The amount that came out is nothing to worry about.

Rogue92

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
Thanks for chiming in, guys. I appreciate it.

I'll post Saturday night how much fluid was actually in there (minus what I dumped already by mistake :biggrin: ).

Will probably wind up doing my front differential too if I have enough fluid left over from the 4 quarts (I should...the front dif takes roughly 2.15 qts, and the back takes about 1.9 qts....I may have to run out and get another bottle).

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Rogue92 said:
Thanks for chiming in, guys. I appreciate it.

I'll post Saturday night how much fluid was actually in there (minus what I dumped already by mistake :biggrin: ).

Will probably wind up doing my front differential too if I have enough fluid left over from the 4 quarts (I should...the front dif takes roughly 2.15 qts, and the back takes about 1.9 qts....I may have to run out and get another bottle).
You may have to bring some back you mean. 2 quarts should be all you need and you'll probably have a lot left over since its measured in pints.

Differential, Front..........1.7 pints
Differential, Rear..........4 pints

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Its nice to keep a few extra quarts kicking around. I live no where near a city or any place that carries quality oil at a decent price. My front driver side diff seal went one day and thankfully when I changed it out I had the extra gear oil lying around.

Rogue92

Original poster
Apr 19, 2014
triz said:
You may have to bring some back you mean. 2 quarts should be all you need and you'll probably have a lot left over since its measured in pints.

Differential, Front..........1.7 pints
Differential, Rear..........4 pints
Yeah, I mixed up the units of measurement. Wasn't thinking that late at night.I would have caught my mistake anyway as soon as I started pumping the rear up :tongue:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catfish520.na

Members Online