DIC info related to reported MPG

Riktar

Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Neosho, WI
Just got back from a 2,000 mile (round trip) vacation to see the family in North Carolina.

I was curious how well the TB would do on the open road so I was checking mpg at every fill up. The DIC was never totally accurate, which I am used to from other cars I have had but the weird thing is it was all over the map in terms of accuracy. IE: Every other car I have owned that had a DIC/MPG readout was consistent in reporting the MPG by a measurable/predictable amount. In all prior vehicles I found the info to be higher that what the actual mpg was, usually in the 1 gallon range. So if the MPG was reported as 20 mpg, the actual mpg was 19.25 and further checks always showed this 3/4 mile disparity.

In the case of the TB sometimes actual mileage was higher, sometimes lower. Usually it was within 1/2 mile but on one occasion it was a full 1 mile off.

Is this normal for the TB?

As an aside, I was VERY impressed with the MPG of the TB. If I stayed below 70 and kept the AC off I could get just over 23 mpg. Even flying at 75 - 80 with the AC on I could stay at (or just below) 22 mpg. Quite impressive IMHO!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
They are notorious for not being accurate. I sometimes wonder if it has to do with the oft failed fuel level sensors we have as well.

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
I have a new fuel pump/sensor in my 05,..its notoriously off,...I get in start it up, itll read near empty,...get going 3-4 miles down the road and itll show almost 1/4 tank.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Mine is usually between a tenth and a half an mpg off. I track my fill ups with aCar (now Fuelly?) and the DIC is at most 0.5 mpg but usually around 0.1 - 0.2. If I drive it light (5.3), I can usually hold around 13.5 - 14 mpg around town. If I fill up, I'll reset the DIC. I note what it says and then compare it to aCar. Not enough to have me figuring in my head. Close enough... like horse shoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online