dexcool

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I need to buy some dexcool to top off the reserve tank. Is there any issue in buying Autozone's Dexcool 50/50 version versus say buying the Prestone version for $5 more ? Also whats the reccomended flush interval ? While mine is a 2008 it really didn't get any mileage on it till 2010 when I bought it with 2800 miles on . It now has about 32000 miles on it . Does anyone really let it go to 100K before changing ? Or do you just change it at 5 years no matter what.Vehicle really doesn't see any heavy duty use , pulls a boat trailer about 40 miles a year , the rest is going back and forth to work and 3 hour trips to camp in the summer .

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I flushed my Envoy at 6 years and about 65K. Not a bit of gunk in any of the hoses or on the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor I replaced. I can't say the same of any of the green stuff at a lot less miles and time.

I'm not sure how many companies actually make Dexcool. So the Autozone labeled brand could flow out of the same factory as Prestone or any other. If you look at the bottles real close you may see similarities in labeling or shape to give you a clue.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
FWIW, since the water is all that evaporates from the Dexcool in your reservour, you just need to add DISTILLED water to it, to top it off...

Mike

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
Also, did you just ask the same question on the OS, to see if you'd get a wrong answer, or to see if the same answer here would show up there?

Mike

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
vipergg said:
I need to buy some dexcool to top off the reserve tank. Is there any issue in buying Autozone's Dexcool 50/50 version versus say buying the Prestone version for $5 more ? Also whats the reccomended flush interval ? While mine is a 2008 it really didn't get any mileage on it till 2010 when I bought it with 2800 miles on . It now has about 32000 miles on it . Does anyone really let it go to 100K before changing ? Or do you just change it at 5 years no matter what.Vehicle really doesn't see any heavy duty use , pulls a boat trailer about 40 miles a year , the rest is going back and forth to work and 3 hour trips to camp in the summer .

It's 5 years OR 150k miles,which ever comes first.

IMHO, if it says Dexcool on the jug, it doesn't matter who's name is on it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online