Dehydrated Foods

Robbabob

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Hard to believe I couldn't find any discussion on this.

Wanting to hear who has tried which brands of dehydrated or freeze dried foods. I want to use for a weekend and enjoy the food.

Thanks in advance!

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Robbabob said:
Hard to believe I couldn't find any discussion on this.

Wanting to hear who has tried which brands of dehydrated or freeze dried foods. I want to use for a weekend and enjoy the food.

Thanks in advance!

I would look up wise foods, I was able to get a free sample (meal for 2), and they are very affordable, and very simple to prepare. I haven't tried it out, so as far as taste/consistency goes I'm not ready to rate yet, but with price and nutritional content alone, I plan on stocking up for my prep stuff.

Here is their website...

Wise Food Storage - Emergency, Long Term, and Camping Meals

Shelf Reliance- Food Storage, Emergency Kits and Food Storage Racks is also another site, however they are EXTREMELY expensive.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
We have a dehydrator and use it pretty regularly, I dunno whats up with buying stuff already dehydrated.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Mountain House was what we usually used for camping. Usually pretty tasty, though not always cheap. Available in pretty much any outdoor store,
and it shows up in a lot of the Army Surplus types of stores around here as well. Lots of variety available from MH as long as the store has bothered to get a wide selection.

For field work, I usually had some version of a civilian MRE, or even the real thing when I had friends in active service. Not always the most tasty, but they'll keep you going.
Some of the newer versions are sold through Ameriqual, MREStar, Sopako, and Eversafe. I've only tried Eversafe so far. Not bad beef stew. Oh, and self heating packs are a wonderful convenience, but follow the directions. Friend of mine didn't, and ended up with improperly cooked stew and a slight burn.

Home grown or farmer's market fare dried in a dehydrator and vacuum sealed gives you a bit more flexibility, but takes more planning up front.

Have fun!

Cheers-

Chris

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
I used to eat some military MREs when I was a kid. We'd get big storms out in the midwest and it's be easy food while there were no basic services.
I've also recently tried some of the FEMA versions while I was helping the clean up here in NYC and they seem to be largely the same.

I've never tried any of the civilian stuff, but it wouldn't have to try real hard to be better than what our enlisted is using lol I would question how long it's good for though.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Mountain House is pretty good if you are just buying for a weekend.

Coleman stuff is not bad either.

Might try Nitro-pak.

If you can do some yourself it is worth it. I make my own jerky.

Another thing that I do for camping is getting pastas and potatoes from the regular grocery. There are many instant varieties that are far cheaper and only need water added, maybe some margarine/butter. Also can do rice the same way. Some red beans and rice in the cheap $1 pack and a some smoked sausage sliced up in it is a great meal to warm you around the campfire.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online