Debadged and demoulded Denali's

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I'm thinking about removing the GMC and ENVOY moldings off the back of my truck. Also thinking about removing the door mouldings. Can we start a picture thread of "clean" Denali's? Just wondering how much different they look with our running boards compared to a non Denali.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I would keep the denali on. This is what ur truck would look like except ur has running boards.
apuma5y3.jpg
oh and ur front bumper cover is different.

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I like that. Looks so much cleaner. Curious to see what it looks like with running boards. DENALI is the only emblem I would leave on.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Mine isn't a denali but it's the XL SLT demoulded and debadged. On my vin number though it does state it is the denali package which is confusing.

IMG_20120318_191521.jpg

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I think this is my next project. Looks so much cleaner. How hard was it to remove? Heat, fishing line and goo gone?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
am-radio said:
I think this is my next project. Looks so much cleaner. How hard was it to remove? Heat, fishing line and goo gone?

^^ exactly. Easy to do.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I just used fishing line to get it started then just pulled them off.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I didn't use anything lol I just pulled them off as one side was slightly lifted away from the truck anyways. We used fishing line on the badges though. No goo gone either, we just let the tape/lines fade off with washes lol. We did ours in the freezing winter weather, so we wanted it to go as fast as possible.

We still have lines on the doors, but mainly because the clear coat and paint job was a shitty one. We will be sending the big boy to the painters some time next year, or when ever we figure out what color/scheme we want on it.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
here is my truck if you want another look. Mine has the running boards on them and I like the running boards to be honest...and so do the girls :yes::yes:

De-Molding2.jpg

kind of an old pic but gives the idea

for the side moldings do not use that fish line crap or for the emblems....one of my moldings behind it the paint got scratches on it because of the stupid fish line. I just pulled the things off and then take the tape off, it was easier to do that and use your fingers to remove the left over tape that way. I didn't even need goo gone when I just pulled them off. Most of the tape went with the moldings and the left over was easy enough to remove with my finger. Then just clay bar and wax the area and your good to go :thumbsup:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
I wish my TB would've come with the running boards from factory, the bottom corners of my back doors are just about all primer from the stone chipping taking off all the paint. It is the only bad spot on the whole thing and it is UGLY.

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
View attachment 22716

I removed my mouldings recently. Haven't de-badged yet, but that's in the to do list.
It was a bitch to remove IMO. I used fishing line, then pulled them off. There was a lot of tape left on the truck itself, and I tried using my fingernails but wasn't having much luck at getting it all off. I tried using a power-washer, as I read someone had luck just letting the pressurized water blast off the old tape, that wasn't working either. I eventually used Goo-Gone and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, a tip I read on the OS I believe. This combo took it off, but it took a lot of work. It took me about 3.5 hours altogether. Once I got all the tape off, you could see a haziness where the Magic Eraser was rubbing against the paint. I took some Meguiar's ScratchX to it followed by some wax and all visible lines and haziness went away. Looks great now. Would definitely recommend it for the looks, I also think it looks much smoother now, but I would also forewarn people that from my experience this isn't an easy job. It takes a time and patience.

Attachments

• DSCN7792.jpg
    DSCN7792.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 239

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
RZAwora said:
View attachment 9134

I removed my mouldings recently. Haven't de-badged yet, but that's in the to do list.
It was a bitch to remove IMO. I used fishing line, then pulled them off. There was a lot of tape left on the truck itself, and I tried using my fingernails but wasn't having much luck at getting it all off. I tried using a power-washer, as I read someone had luck just letting the pressurized water blast off the old tape, that wasn't working either. I eventually used Goo-Gone and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, a tip I read on the OS I believe. This combo took it off, but it took a lot of work. It took me about 3.5 hours altogether. Once I got all the tape off, you could see a haziness where the Magic Eraser was rubbing against the paint. I took some Meguiar's ScratchX to it followed by some wax and all visible lines and haziness went away. Looks great now. Would definitely recommend it for the looks, I also think it looks much smoother now, but I would also forewarn people that from my experience this isn't an easy job. It takes a time and patience.

I just had to come over here and drool for a minute :salivate:

Beautiful truck! K i'm done now

But you may want to get that drool spot waxed soon :biggrin:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
If you black the front emblem it would flow really good!! :yes:

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
RZAwora said:
Would definitely recommend it for the looks, I also think it looks much smoother now, but I would also forewarn people that from my experience this isn't an easy job. It takes a time and patience.

I've got lots of that. Your black Denali looks amazing. Better than my white one.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Here's my .02. My 9-7 was sold with no mouldings anywhere...I don't care about badges. It looks great but is completely impracticle even given my private covered parking spot at work and the fact I will never park next to another vehicle by choice, I still get dings. The airport unfortulately leaves you little room for spot choice. On the other hand my wife who only vaguely cares about where she parks has no dings on the sheet metal on the Rainier since doors bounce off the moulding. In a perfect world where little kids don't kick the rear doors open into your car and everyone has respect, no cars would have moulding. When the 9-7 was conceived they planned to offer a 'protection package' that had some door protection but they never did actually offer it. It is a struggle to get my wife to park far enough with her Rainier away from my 9-7 so the doors don't accidently hit.

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
I agree to a point. Not all doors are going to hit the moulding. I was sitting in my envoy and some a@@hole swung his door into mine. It was not even close to the moulding. Door dings are going to happen (with my wife driving it and parking a close to the doors of a store as she can). I don't want door dings, but I want the Denali to look clean and smooth. I can't leave anything stock.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Voymom said:
Mine isn't a denali but it's the XL SLT demoulded and debadged. On my vin number though it does state it is the denali package which is confusing.

Really confusing since the Denali was not an option until 2005....

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
am-radio said:
I agree to a point. Not all doors are going to hit the moulding. I was sitting in my envoy and some a@@hole swung his door into mine. It was not even close to the moulding. Door dings are going to happen (with my wife driving it and parking a close to the doors of a store as she can). I don't want door dings, but I want the Denali to look clean and smooth. I can't leave anything stock.

Totally agree except every door, every time it hits a mouldingless door will do some amount of damage. Over time you know which cars tend to ding. I see tons of cars that no longer have any mouldings from the factory. I don't think even the Equinox has any.

So what did you do when the guy hit your door? I've often wondered what I would do in that same situation. One time several cars back a 50 something year old guy rammed the metal shopping cart between my nicer car and his beater and proceded to unload his groceries which were parked close to eachother. I happened to walk up and saw him do it. Massive scratches on my car and he blamed it on being agressive from having a bad day and that my car was too close to the white parking line but not on or over it. It was like a fiction novel it was so unbelievable.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Well I know if someone dings my door my pre warning goes off and lets me know and hit it hard enough (which some people are that stupid and dont care for there POS they drive) then my alarm goes off and it's pretty loud and annoying and I will know when it goes off!!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I hold em at gunpoint and call the police.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
The beauty of my truck is that I have the rock sliders and no longer have to worry about door dings. In fact, if I find someone that decides to park on the white line I will crowd them a bit just to dare them to open their doors into the sliders! :thumbsup:

Phantom

Jun 17, 2012
VIN: 1GKET16S936118694 Model: TT15806-2003 ENVOY XL DENALI 4WD
Vehicle Build
Model: TT15806-2003 ENVOY XL DENALI 4WD Order Number: FMRXR3
Gross Vehicle Weight: 2,906 Build Date: 08/23/2002
Build Plant: 6-

Option Codes

1SC - SLT STANDARD PACKAGE 41U - ONYX BLACK
6SS - COMP FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP 7SS - COMP FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP
8HU - COMP RR LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP 952 - MEDIUM PEWTER
95I - MEDIUM PEWTER INTERIOR TRIM 9HT - COMP RR RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP
AAB - DRIVER MEMORY PACKAGE AJ1 - DEEP TINTED GLASS
AJ7 - SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS AM7 - FOLDING REAR SEAT
AM9 - REAR SPLIT FOLDING SEAT AR9 - DELUXE FRONT BUCKET SEATS
AU0 - REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY AXP - MPV VIN IDENTIFICATION
B30 - COLORED - KEYED CARPETING B32 - FRONT COLOR-KEYED FLOOR MATS
B33 - REAR COLOR-KEYED FLOOR MATS BG2 - 3RD ROW FLOOR MATS
C49 - REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER C7H - GVW RATING - 6,400 LBS
CE1 - RAIN SENSING WIPERS CE4 - HEADLAMP WASHERS
CF5 - POWER SUNROOF CJ2 - DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL
CNV - INTERIM CONTROL PROCESSING OPTI DD7 - LIGHT-SENSITIVE ISRV MIRROR
DH2 - ILLUM LH & RH VISOR MIRRORS DK7 - CUSTOM INTERIOR ROOF CONSOLE
DS3 - POWER HEATED/TURN SIGNAL MIRROR EVA - EVAP EMISSION REQUIREMENT
FE9 - FEDERAL/NY/VT EMISSIONS G80 - LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL
GT4 - REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO JF8 - 4-WHEEL POWER DISC BRAKES
K34 - CRUISE CONTROL KA1 - HEATED FRONT SEATS
KG4 - 150 AMP GENERATOR LL8 - VORTEC 4200 INLINE 6 CYL ENGINE
M30 - 4-SPD AUTO TRANS W/ OVERDRIVE AND ELECTRONIC CONTROL N40 - POWER STEERING
N77 - 17X7 DELUXE ALUMINUM WHEELS N79 - STEEL WHEEL FULL SIZE SPARE
NF2 - FEDERAL EMISSION SYSTEM OKL - PLANT CODE OKLAHOMA
PEC - SLT COMFORT & CONVENIENCE PKG * RAIN SENSING WIPERS * HEADLAMP WASHERS * HEATED FRONT SEATS * CONTENT THEFT ALARM * ETR AM/FM STEREO, CD/CASSETTE (REPLACES STD/OPT PKG RADIO) * BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM (UNIT BUILT WITHOUT TRAVELNOTE DIGITAL RECORDER) QTM - P245/65R17 ALS BW TIRES
SLM - STOCK ORDERS STW - STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS
T61 - DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS T96 - FRONT FOG LAMPS
T98 - VIN IDENTIFICATION NUMBER TB4 - LIFTGATE/LIFTGLASS BODY
TFE - SALES INCENTIVE-COMMITMENT PLUS U68 - DRIVER INFO CENTER
U73 - FIXED MAST ANTENNA UA6 - THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM
UE1 - ONSTAR COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM INCL 1 YR SAFE & SOUND PLAN UG1 - UNIVERSAL GARAGE DOOR OPENER
UK6 - REAR SEAT AUDIO CONTROLS UP0 - ETR AM/FM STEREO, CD/CASSETTE WITH THEFT LOCK, AUTO TONE CONTROL, SEEK/SCAN AND CLOCK (REPLACES STD/OPT PKG RADIO)
UPC - TRAVELNOTE DIGITAL RECORDER UQA - BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
V1K - LUGGAGE RACK CROSS BARS V40 - POWER PASSENGER SEAT
V73 - STATEMENT OF CERT. U.S. VK3 - FRONT LICENSE PLATE MOUNT
VXS - COMPLETE VEHICLE LABEL YC6 - SLT DECOR
YD3 - BASE EQUIP FOR SCH GVW PLATE YD5 - FRONT SPRING - BASE EQUIPMENT
YD6 - REAR SPRING - BASE EQUIPMENT Z88 - GMC TRUCK NAMEPLATE
ZQ3 - TILT WHEEL AND SPEED CONTROL ZW7 - PREMIUM SMOOTH RIDE SUSPENSION
ZY1 - SOLID PAINT

Thats what the was given to us for a VIN check.

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Jkust said:
So what did you do when the guy hit your door? I've often wondered what I would do in that same situation. One time several cars back a 50 something year old guy rammed the metal shopping cart between my nicer car and his beater and proceded to unload his groceries which were parked close to eachother. I happened to walk up and saw him do it. Massive scratches on my car and he blamed it on being agressive from having a bad day and that my car was too close to the white parking line but not on or over it. It was like a fiction novel it was so unbelievable.

I got mad and said look what your kid did. He says I don't see anything and starts being rude. I got pissed, called him a FOB. I told him to call the cops. We started getting vocal and I thought I better just leave or I would be in the cop car for flying of the wall and saying inappropriate stuff. It wasn't a ding, just rubbed his paint on mine. I got it to buff out, thanks god.

am-radio

Original poster
Apr 24, 2012
Most people leave the Denali on the truck. They are a sticker and you'd have better luck buying brand new for ease of installment.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Voymom said:

I'm smelling "Grand Theft Auto":lipsrsealed:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
northcreek said:
I'm smelling "Grand Theft Auto":lipsrsealed:

Nope not stolen, in Iowa(not sure of other states) but as soon as a vehicle is stolen and recovered, damage or not it is a salvaged title, which it doesn't have. Plus I got the autocheck ran on it and everything is what it's supposed to be, or at least matches our records from the dealer.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I hold em at gunpoint and call the police.

Who is gonna bail you out of jail after that :raspberry: lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online