Dealer Alignment = Fail!

Instrumental

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
I recently did new lower control arms and tie rod ends. Put in Beck Arnly on the LCA and Moog on the tie rods.

I took it to the dealer, as i wanted a good alignment, full adjustment of caster camper on the LCA bolts, and my reading here said most places are not great at that.

When I picked it up they advised me that my 'aftermarket' parts wouldn't come into spec on the caster camber on the drivers side. It was within a tiny percentage, didn't bother me, or so I thought.

Driving on a long highway trip the following weekend I noticed a significant pull to the right, as in I had to actively counter steer against it. I of course took it back in, and they did nothing for me. Claimed it was adjusted to the max with the 'aftermarket' parts and if they fixed the pull I'd have tire wear issues.

Took it down the street to Belle Tire for their free alingment check (they did my tires), and they said no problem and got it pretty much completely into spec for half the price. Never would have guessed, but no more spending the money on a dealer alignment for me.

Reactions: Bow_Tied and Mounce

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pretty sad. Sometimes I feel like dealers are purposely being buttheads when they see non-OEM parts and feed you a load of crap about "out of spec" just to try to convince you to let them pull them off and install OEM parts at inflated pricing to make themselves some more money.

Reactions: Mounce

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
That sucks, sorry to hear that..Total snobs! Really?! Your "aftermarket" parts holy crap! I've never had a dealer do that to me! Been lucky I guess. I have had good luck with Belle tire as well. Good ppl. At least the one in Perrysburg OH.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Typical stealership story. Sucks but at least you're good now.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I used my stealership last week as they had a coupon for an alignment ($46.95 + tax). They know I have an aftermarket warranty that pays for all suspension components so they just fix it. Had my lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends replaced back in December which necessitated an alignment. Cost on the work order/receipt was $966.35. I doubt they inflated it since it was warranty. Yeah, right!

Belle Tire did good on my wife's car. She got hit in the front wheel, which caused a slight pull. No damage visible, so I don't know how it happened, but BT put on the rack and said, "Yep, it needs an alignment." I said "Gopher it." I had a $20 coupon (singed up for the email list) which left me owing $69.90. Had I had a coupon for the dealer, I probably would have went there. Altho, I am still waiting on some plastic trim screws for my '97 Isuzu from them. I should ask the next time I'm in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.