Damn steering shaft :(

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
So, it would seem that if you happen to have a 2007, 2008 Sierra or Silverado - and your lower steering coupler decides to pass on - you are in a small camp of available spare parts.

The OE p/n 19210226 is used on those two years, and those two models only!
Needless to say, you're not likely to find a good used one anymore (too old).

Dorman doesn't offer one (probably too unique to bother with).

Anyone ever convert something else to fit? The rack can't be that unique (well, the input spline portion), and the D-shaft above the crush tube looks like a fairly common design.

Best price I've found so far is still $305 cdn shipped. :sadcry:

s-l500.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What went wrong with yours? I don't usually hear of those breaking.

My 07 is ok as far as I know. At least, the steering works fine anyway. Anything I should watch out for?

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Not out and out broken - just worn. I've had the truck long enough that I've gotten used to it being essentially 100% tight steering. It's developed slop now, and I've traced it down to that.

There's a guy on Youtube who did a (very bad!) video on replacing one. When he pulled it out and tipped it, a huge stream of rust brown water poured out!! {barf}

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Stage "II". The 2008 & 2010 (didn't check how high up in years) both use the same p/n of column assy.

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If the column and rack are the same, then I do not see why the 09+ part wouldn't work. Maybe the 07-08 part was simply superceded in 09 with a different part number.

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Yup, totally. Sucks that the later version part is STILL ~300$, but at least now I can go hunting for up to a 2013 to locate a used one.

Dr.Fiero

Original poster
Dec 7, 2017
S. Alberta
Yup - I was just trying to figure if something else would fit that wasn't as much. Like how you can take a Jeep steering shaft and retrofit it to your S10 (I think!) and it gets rid of the rag joint.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online