CV Axle stuck to hub

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
While I was doing my front end rebuild, I heeded the advice of 'tapping' the axle shaft inward to clear it of the knuckle (to avoid pulling it out when angling the knuckle outward) - but despite some (very) strenuous 'tapping' with the BFH on the axle nut (aligned w/ the end of the axle shaft) - I could not move it inward on either the driver or passenger side.

I got the work done, seemingly w/o incident (no detected issues with the axles when I drove it today). However, I want to eventually go back in, both for a leaking seal on the inner CV on the passenger side, and to perform maintenance on the disconnect module.

AFAIK, my hubs are OK (no movement / play, or noise). They're pretty well corroded in place (I didn't attempt to loosen or remove them - but I will, if that's necessary to free the outer axle shafts).

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would recommend spraying some PB Blaster around where the splines of the axle mate with the hub, from both front and behind. Let it sit a while, drive it some, etc. Then smack it again later. PB may help break it loose for you.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Thx, Sparky - I'm pretty sure I did the outer side, but doubt I did the inner. Will try that again in a few days.

(and it appears that this is my 500th post, as well. Yay me...lol)

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Definitely soak it overnight with the penetrating fluid. You can heat it with a torch - just don't overdo it or you'll cook your hub.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe you could fit a large 3 jaw puller?

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
I have used 2 jaw and three job pullers for various hub jobs. I don't know how I would do it otherwise - they very quickly work to free the splines from the hub. If you use a breaker bar with the puller, it takes very little effort.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online