cv axle related

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ok. My cv axle on my passenger side is jacked up. It is not sitting right in the differential. It doez not make any noises until I put it in 4wd. I knew something was wrong. But thought it was just front end suspension. Now the guy who saw it with me. Said my diff could be messed up. Should I attempt to change just the axle or what?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Does it flop around loosely?

If so, your axle disconnect on that side needs a rebuild (new bearings, seals, and possibly more depending on the level of wear inside), or totally replaced if you don't want to go through rebuilding it. Rebuilding costs less but is also more work.

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Sparky said:
Does it flop around loosely?

If so, your axle disconnect on that side needs a rebuild (new bearings, seals, and possibly more depending on the level of wear inside), or totally replaced if you don't want to go through rebuilding it. Rebuilding costs less but is also more work.

Yes it does flop a bit. Would replacing the axle disconnect be a driveway job? I am somewhat mechanically inclined to let you know. Really I just wanna know it is not the diff. I will try and get pictures tommorow. Just know I have finally learned my lesson about 4 wheel driving and not having the money to back the hobby up.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yes it is, I did mine in the driveway.

The differential is on the driver side of the oil pan, by the way. The disconnect is on the passenger side, and is a common wear item due to a poor design. Seems they need rebuilt every 100k miles or so.

I spent only around 60 bucks for all the inner guts I replaced on my disconnect. I did all the bearings, both inner and outer seals, and all new thrust washers. Rest of the stuff (gears, sleeve, shift fork) were all OK and reusable. I did end up busting the inner housing however and spent another $100 on a replacement, which wasn't fun, but I was one of the unlucky ones that had that issue. Not everyone does, but be aware it might happen.

A brand new disconnect costs $325 from Amazon
ATP 111001 Front Axle Disconnect : Amazon.com : Automotive

Benefit of this is less hassle and mess of rebuilding, less time, and also if you do bust the inner housing it doesn't really matter anyway. That said, I tend to be the one to do the cheapest route even if it does take longer, in most cases.

mudlight2

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Ok. Well this is all still good news to me. Did you buy a rebuild kit? Or how did that work? Ill do what yall want me to do. Read. Lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online