Cutting the Front Fenders

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Originally 8-14-2009

Tonight or tomorrow the Rear of the front fender gets the cut. I have them taped off. 12.5 inches from bottom of fender to top of cut and 2.5 at the deepest on the bottom. Any quick ideas of different or advice on this? I want it done and plan to match the fender bumper cover to match the angle. I think it flows pretty well and should give me good clearance. Now the tape pics...

Will wrap the cuts around and try to keep bolt that holds fender on. If it has to go I will have some sort of little ties welded in to keep fender on. Also I believe I have someone to take the folded lip of fender currently off then tack weld it to the new fender line for strength. So is this enough or cut more...less. Help me out here, I figure its go all the way since I love the new rollers.

Trying to keep the rear metal cut flowing with the natural lines as much as possible, since the front is easier to try and match to rear, and want it to look good if I get the funds for a different front bumper or someone builds a sweet bumper for me to buy.

Saw roadies video and contacted him, but he did not cut enough and has dished out his fenders from contacting them. He advised me that they will be weak without getting a lip back on them.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
8-16-09

Lost some metal. Just a starting point for now, got to see how they tuck up and see where else to cut, but made the jump and got a few crappy pics. We did throw on some door edge guard for now to clen it up some. Plan to grind it smoother and add a lip for strength. Also am moving bottom bolt back and trimming more there tomorrow.

Cuts were made between green and blue tape

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Current

One of the best free mods I did. The tires have not rubbed anymore on the fenders, the firewall is a different story. The cuts seem very appropriate and look good. I never did add a lip to it. It is decently strong as is and will actually pop in and out when hitting trees and such, so has likely saved more expensive body work.

Current pics...

DSC01454.jpg

2011-06-19_09-36-24_207.jpg

Black_tb

Dec 6, 2011
looking good !!

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
It is more of a necessity mod if you want big wide tires. It has served me well for the past couple years.

bore_pig

Nov 25, 2011
Thanks for sharing the pics. I have decided to make the change from my 285's to some 35x12.5-15's and these pics give a good starting point for the cutting. Do you have the plastic piece back on under the doors in the last two pics? If so, did you just leave the ends of it open or did you close it in to prevent salt build-up in the winter?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I do have it on. Just cut it and left it open. No issues for couple years now.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
well first of all, old thread that i missed :duh:

cuts look great Kyle... so good that i haven't noticed them at all the meets we've been to together :rotfl: where the hell was i at man :crackup:.. one of those subtle mods there i tell ya!!

bore_pig

Nov 25, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
I do have it on. Just cut it and left it open. No issues for couple years now.

Thanks.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
There is a foam inner peice that keeps stuff out of the doorjamb. I did lose one of those and had to replace it. Alek used some silicon to hold his in, but mine have just been stuffed in there and dont move.

The plastic part doesnt seal well so if you spray the salt it will run right out underneath.

I think I am going to be removing the plastic as soon as I can get the monstaliner.

bore_pig

Nov 25, 2011
Thanks for the additional info. I think the piece of foam you're talking about has been trying to fall out of mine for about a year now. Everytime I look inside the fender there is a foam thing hanging out, so I've just been pushing it back in. Maybe I'll get it fixed right after I do my cutting.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online

No members online now.