cutting out at idle with compressor

htseat2000

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I bought a 2003 envoy last year with 100,000 miles on it. fully loaded. paid 5400 for it. fully loaded. haven't had a single problem wiht it except the air bags leaking and i replaced them and solved that problem. i did the 100,000 mile plug change and just regular oil changes. i put a k&n air filter in it. i know i need to get the tranny oil flushed, and change all the fluids since i don't know the history, but anyways, just started getting a rough idle tonight only with a/c compressor on, and it is not really a rough idle. just cuts out at idle like it is going to die and comes back up to normal idle. no codes, no lacking of power on takeoff, just get the cut off idle with compressor on. what could be problem? i am thinking maybe dirty throttle body and/or clogged fuel filter? i checked throttle body when i did spark plug change but it didn't look that dirty.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
Remove the throttle body the front may look very clean. The back will be very coked with black carbon build up. When you clean it pay close attention to the edges of the plate.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

htseat2000

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
took the throttle body off and it wasn't caked that bad with black crap. took steel wool to it and the flap and got it all nice shiny. put it back in and fixed the problem. can't believe a little black crap makes the thing cut out like that.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
htseat2000 said:
... took steel wool to it and the flap ...
:eek: :eek: :no: Did somebody edit the article to change the use of recommended non-abrasive sensor-safe throttle body cleaner? It's only like $5 at any parts store. The disk edge is sharp for a reason, there are sensitive bearings and position sensors involved, and steel wool/sandpaper should not be anywhere near that assembly because of debris shedding. Please consider following the recommendations to the letter, since they have been developed and used by hundreds of members over 8 years of three forums. :thumbsup:

htseat2000

Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
the roadie said:
:eek: :eek: :no: Did somebody edit the article to change the use of recommended non-abrasive sensor-safe throttle body cleaner? It's only like $5 at any parts store. The disk edge is sharp for a reason, there are sensitive bearings and position sensors involved, and steel wool/sandpaper should not be anywhere near that assembly because of debris shedding. Please consider following the recommendations to the letter, since they have been developed and used by hundreds of members over 8 years of three forums. :thumbsup:

dont worry roadie. no shedding was involved. i made sure everything was clean, and didn't take the wool to the sharp edges and i did use some cleaner in the hard to reach places, but made sure there was no particles left behind and everything was nice, clean and dry before i put it back on. i am kind of anal like that. that black crap was really caked on, but not very thick.

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I use berkebile gum cutter. It seems to clean better with less scrubbing. I spray some on a shop rag and then wipe the really nasty parts. Then a quick rinse to remove the residue the rag left behind. Done in less than a minute!!! And one can will do 10-20 really dirty ones. You know, the ones that set low idle codes or position performance codes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online