Crunch

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Well it looks like the beasty suffered the big one today. Gregg was on the highway when a woman thought it was a good idea to come out of her driveway right in front of him. He tried to miss her but caught her front end. (fortunately for her he tried everything not to Tbone her.)every one is ok but his hand has a fracture. We're guessing the airbag send his hand into the windshield cause there is an impact hit on the windshield. So I'm hunting the net for another one with all the bells and whistles this one had.
View attachment 22940

Attachments

• 330462_10152143865005711_1825539789_o.jpg
    330462_10152143865005711_1825539789_o.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 22

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Glad to hear he wasn't hurt too badly.
Good luck in your hunt.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
Other than a fractured hand and walking away from the crash, that really sucks - especially for the TB. :frown:
Good luck with you search for a replacement.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks guys (Homer says thanks too)
I'm finding lots out there but they are either missing something I want or price is too high. And you just know, that it really won't matter cause nothing will measure up to what this one was. We were suppose to leave on a road trip next Sunday to Myrtle beach. :sadcry:

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
sorry to hear this bad news, and sorry for the lost of your loved one, is not easy finding a replacement.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Glad to see everything came out alright, it seems to be the norm that these vehicles fare pretty well in an accident, good and safe... Hope you find another GMT...

Looks like another vehicle for the parts vultures.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I am constantly amazed at how well these trucks hold up in an accident. That kind of a hit in a small car and the outcome would have been a lot worse! I am glad to hear the personal damage is minimal, the truck can be replaced but your husband can not!

I am actually amazed this thread has lasted as long as it has without the vultures swarming. What are your plans with it?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Glad he is OK. Good luck on finding another one.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Mrs Homer said:
I'm finding lots out there but they are either missing something I want or price is too high. And you just know, that it really won't matter cause nothing will measure up to what this one was.
You discussing Homer or the TB now? :rotfl:

Glad he's relatively OK. I know the hand will take a bunch of rehab.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
We were told that once the airbags go off they write them off. The front end was pushed back. We have to get up and get the stereo, sub, amps and speakers out of it. Because her ins sure won't give a damn what it's worth. We had just put brand new rac and pinion in it mid summer. And within the year, new hub left side, new rotors and pads all the way around and 4 brand new Michelins last Nov. So yup it will be nice pickins for someone. Right now it's at the tow yard that the police took it to.

Lol can't do without Homer lol. But it was funny because his head rest cover (the Homer ones I made) was missing off his side. The tow truck driver came up to him and said "Homer is ok he's in the back seat" lol

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt! Good luck on the hunt for a new one.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Wow, that's a bummer but I'm glat he's mostly ok. Air bags are no fun I can attest to but a shattered hand is much better than a shattered jaw. I suggest if you like options that a Rainier or 9-7x make it onto your list. The 9-7 only had three options (the Nav, the dvd player and the v8) and the Rainier offered 4awd as an option.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Mrs Homer said:
We were told that once the airbags go off they write them off. The front end was pushed back. We have to get up and get the stereo, sub, amps and speakers out of it. Because her ins sure won't give a damn what it's worth. We had just put brand new rac and pinion in it mid summer. And within the year, new hub left side, new rotors and pads all the way around and 4 brand new Michelins last Nov. So yup it will be nice pickins for someone. Right now it's at the tow yard that the police took it to.

Lol can't do without Homer lol. But it was funny because his head rest cover (the Homer ones I made) was missing off his side. The tow truck driver came up to him and said "Homer is ok he's in the back seat" lol

Real bummer:frown:...I don't know if it's different in Canada but,when my wife totaled our Maxima we got first shot to buy it from the insurance people,they won't tell you this but it's usually pretty cheap to do.With all those new parts and tires you might want to part it out and save what you need for the new ride.I bought the totaled Maxima and then sold it to the collision shop that towed it to their shop,We made enough back to cover the deductable and then some.....just sayin'...Mike.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
It won't cost us anything since it was her fault but we have all receipts from everything. They do take into account the type of tires and the wear on them. The problem with trying to buy it back for parts is it's an LTZ which if I'm not mistaken is it has 17" wheels where the LT has 16" Not sure if that makes that big a difference but I just found a 2006 LT with everything ours had including the color lol. We have to wait for the insurance to do all their crap and being the weekend, no one is in a rush. We didn't carry collision. So everything is at a standstill til her insurance and our insurance can communicate. Plus I'm not sure if there will be an investigation (tearing apart our truck) if she is charged and she decides to fight it. I really can't see it cause there were 3 witnesses and she was just plain dead wrong.

I have to say, considering he hit her front driver side at 80-100k and the only evidence in the cab were the airbags, my faith is cemented in getting another one.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The tire diameter is the same for the 16" and 17", just shorter sidewalls on the 17" tires. So going from 16" to 17 " is no problem.

rcam81

Dec 3, 2011
Onsted, MI
If you go with a 2007 or newer LS or LT they come stock with a 17 inch wheel. The SS comes with a 20 inch wheel. Prior to 2007 the LS came with a 16 inch wheel and the LT came with a 17 inch wheel.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Waves like crazy :smile: When we get another one we'll be back!!! I did find a 2006 which other then the front end looks like ours and has all the toys inside ours did. Today is hectic. Finely getting a hold of the insurance, Gregg and Dan are gone now to get the sound system out. Borrowed his Dad's van (OMG for something not very old it's falling apart) But still grateful to have something to get around in. Now that I know more about the wheels it will help in my search.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Out of curiosity what kind of car did he hit coming out of the driveway? Interestingly, when my wife rolled her first Rainier, I got the offer from the insurance company and was still able to remove whatever I wanted from the truck. I took a few interior parts and a couple other things but it was dead of winter and cold and alot of the inside was covered in ice. I recall as I was taking stuff off, the junkyard (CoPart) was not happy I was taking anything but I hadn't signed the car over yet so they couldn't do anything but stand there and be annoyed. The truck was pretty mangled and the engine ran until it died as it came to rest upside down. I even took the battery since it was brand new.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
It was a Mazda SUV. She came out of a driveway (driving straight out) and wanted to go left crossing over in front of Gregg. He couldn't go behind her so tried to go in front of her before she got there lol. But she just kept coming.
View attachment 22995

Attachments

• 279122_10152143857105711_1894389645_o2.jpg
    279122_10152143857105711_1894389645_o2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 7

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
We got what we could, the insurance was good to us but we couldn't have the tires unless we had something to replace them. Soooooo yesterday after search for another TB LTZ and almost getting laughed at cause we were expecting too much we bought a 2003 Envoy SLT. 163k on it and all the toys and more that our TB had. It's charcoal grey but the interior is almost identical to the TB except for some chrome and woodgrain. We pick it up in a couple of days. So I'll have some picts then. We knew it was the one because, of all places, it was out of town about a mile from the crash site. Then we get in for the test drive, we didn't need to adjust the seats. I look up and there is the exact same airfreshner sticking out of the exact same vent ours was in. It ran like a charm and Gregg had a big smile on his face.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Good find. Be especially careful to check the 4WD and maintenance records for transfer case fluid changes. At 163K it's slightly overdue for its third change. If it's not too late and it's a dealer sale, get all the fluids changed. If a private sale, inspect the records and see that the TC was done every 50K. Expensive repair if it's been neglected.

Mrs Homer

Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Ack wasn't even thinking about that. It is a private lot. Wonder how I can find out if these things have been done. We're going to take it for a 110 point inspection but I really want to make sure it will be ok. We were suppose to leave on a road trip to Myrtle beach this past sunday but couldn't because of the accident. Hoped we could leave this Sunday if all checked out well.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
rcam81 said:
If you go with a 2007 or newer LS or LT they come stock with a 17 inch wheel. The SS comes with a 20 inch wheel. Prior to 2007 the LS came with a 16 inch wheel and the LT came with a 17 inch wheel.

Nope. My 06 ls had stock 17s.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mrs Homer said:
Ack wasn't even thinking about that. It is a private lot. Wonder how I can find out if these things have been done. We're going to take it for a 110 point inspection but I really want to make sure it will be ok. We were suppose to leave on a road trip to Myrtle beach this past sunday but couldn't because of the accident. Hoped we could leave this Sunday if all checked out well.

Pop the transfer case fill plug and see how the fluid looks and test its function.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshyan

Members Online