Crank Pulley Rattling

Michblaze02

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I seem to have a loud rattling against the engine block which seems to be coming from the larger crank pulley. I can't 100% confirm this since it seems tight when the engine is not running atleast. There does seem to be a slight wobble to it, but is hard to say if that is the cause of the noise. It is deffinitly loud both inside and out though. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Water pump bearings seem to die more often than harmonic balancers. Can you wobble the fan back and forth at all with the engine off? The idler and tensioner pulleys also fail, but they're small enough that they whine like a turbo more than rattle. That said, there have been a few discussions about harmonic balancers.

Michblaze02

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
Water pump bearings seem to die more often than harmonic balancers. Can you wobble the fan back and forth at all with the engine off? The idler and tensioner pulleys also fail, but they're small enough that they whine like a turbo more than rattle. That said, there have been a few discussions about harmonic balancers.

After closer inspection, the issue turned out to be the water pump like you mentioned. Was certainly not the easiest thing to get to. Purrs like a kitten now though. Replaced the serpentine belt too while I was at it since that had some decent cracks in it. Had to get take care of this sooner than later since we will be traveling for the holidays. Thanks for your assistance on the issue

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online