Cordless Impact Driver

Sir ffeJ

Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Just curios, would a 20V cordless impact driver with 1600ft/lbs of torque, be enough to use on our platform?

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Are you sure that isn't in-Lbs?
1600 ft-Lbs is a nasty gun and will probably be good enough for 2" bolts!

1600 in-Lbs would convert to about 133 ft-Lbs, and I'd definitely find something a bit stronger for our lugs.

I bought this 1/2" Cordless Impact Driver from Harborfreight a few weeks and tried it on my Envoy when I was checking the condition of my Brake Pads a few days ago. It worked okay, but I think something around 400-500 ft-Lbs would have removed each lug a bit faster. Although, I'm keeping that impact driver in my Envoy for long trips.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
Yea the very best air guns 1/2 drive from snap-on IR and others are only about 750-1000 ft-lbs. So a cordless with 1600 ft-lbs is bad gun.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah the half inch drive SnapOn I am selling has 1275ftlbs of torque on the initial hit and 890 after that. But its air powered.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The Craftsman impact 18.2 that I have does 300lbs. Does lug nuts very nicely..

My brother has a Dewalt, and that thing is a nasty little gun. Loves to just sheer the head off anything if you go full tilt on it. No idea what the Volt is, I just know its a nasty little gun.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
hockeyman said:
1600 in-Lbs would convert to about 133 ft-Lbs, and I'd definitely find something a bit stronger for our lugs.

Why?

Our lug nuts should never be on that tight.....

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Putting them on is usually never the problem.. Getting them off thou... Thats another story entirely!

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Why?

I was actually referring to removing them. You might be sitting at your wheel for quite some time waiting for each lug to break loose with a 133 ft-lb driver.

Installing, I use my IR Pneumatic Driver with 725, but I dialed it down so that it doesn't etch the lugs into the rim. I only let it hammer a few times, then move on to the next. I don't go "monster" with them.

I know some people do the proper method by using a torque wrench when reinstalling, but I don't.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
hockeyman said:
I was actually referring to removing them. You might be sitting at your wheel for quite some time waiting for each lug to break loose with a 133 ft-lb driver.

Installing, I use my IR Pneumatic Driver with 725, but I dialed it down so that it doesn't etch the lugs into the rim. I only let it hammer a few times, then move on to the next. I don't go "monster" with them.

I know some people do the proper method by using a torque wrench when reitnstalling, but I don't.
That's your own stupidity or laziness. I use a torque wrench set at 98-100 lbs to put them on and never have issues withremaval. A regular ratchet or the same torque wrench works fine.

Dont give advice based on your flawed system of over-tightening.

TollKeeper said:
Putting them on is usually never the problem.. Getting them off thou... Thats another story entirely!

Why? If put on properly there is not an issue w removal.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Why? If put on properly there is not an issue w removal.

I always torque to mine 103, but with my winter steel rims I get rust build up on studs and lug nut on the rim, breaking them free and removal in the spring is a real PITA. I've always thought about putting something on them the stop the rust but probably not a good idea to lube the studs?

Proper lug nut torque is something I do believe in, who needs a wheel coming off on the hiway?

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
I always torque to mine 103, but with my winter steel rims I get rust build up on studs and lug nut on the rim, breaking them free and removal in the spring is a real PITA. I've always thought about putting something on them the stop the rust but probably not a good idea to lube the studs?

Proper lug nut torque is something I do believe in, who needs a wheel coming off on the hiway?

No need talking to him. We're just lazy fools...I guess.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
hockeyman said:
No need talking to him. We're just lazy fools...I guess.

No he properly torques his. You said you dont bother to safely install your wheels with a simple torque wrench or stick.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
No he properly torques his. You said you dont bother to safely install your wheels with a simple torque wrench or stick.

haha, yeah...ok. I guess I'll have to give you the props one day when my wheels fall off, get ruined, or my rotors warp. Haven't had any issues in the past 7 years since I've been installing wheels with my air tools, but I guess you'll put the kibosh on me now... :raspberry:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It is what it is. I have used a torque wrench for 20 years and do not have install or removal issues.

Just a few weeks ago my wife's uncle put some rims on my wife's van and i said use the torque wrench...he said his impact has always worked perfect....

I had to replace 2 rear and one front stud. Way more work than simply using a torque wrench.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Why?

My electric impact is rated at 230 ft lbs and it's weak for working on cars. It's taking things apart that you need the extra power.

HARDTRAILZ said:
It is what it is. I have used a torque wrench for 20 years and do not have install or removal issues.

Just a few weeks ago my wife's uncle put some rims on my wife's van and i said use the torque wrench...he said his impact has always worked perfect....

I had to replace 2 rear and one front stud. Way more work than simply using a torque wrench.

View attachment 24127

Attachments

• h201495b.jpg
    h201495b.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 173

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Many years ago I had a cross threaded stud to deal with thanks to an impact gun at the inspection place. Of course I found out way to lat to take it back and say replace it at your expense NOW!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Hypnotoad said:
My electric impact is rated at 230 ft lbs and it's weak for working on cars. It's taking things apart that you need the extra power.

Makes sense, but I just dont use an impact on much if anything. I prefer to be in control and have several breaker bars if needed

Hypnotoad said:

Yep. I mentioned them earlier. Great lil invention.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Its always good to lube the threads (WD-40) before tightening also, that way you get an acurate torque reading and they will come off easier the next time. I've always kept my click torque wrench in the TBSS for removing the lugs.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Why? Well, just because you and I might do it right, doesnt mean the guy that put my tires on did it right. Just because the dealer might not have put them on right. Etc..

Its not me that I am worried about, my truck is still under warrenty, and since I am not always around to work on it when my wife needs it, sometimes it has to go other places.. Just for me to come along later to finish, or redo, the repair. And I rather a impact take them off, then me throw my back out in the effort.

I ussually carry my electric impact with me. I always pull over to help the people that are broke down with a flat on the side of the road, and having that impact, zips a car up on a scissor jack, takes off lug nuts mighty quick, and gets them back on the road much quicker. And when its cold out (which it is here), hypothermia is the big enemy!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
TollKeeper said:
Why? Well, just because you and I might do it right, doesnt mean the guy that put my tires on did it right. Just because the dealer might not have put them on right. Etc..

Its not me that I am worried about, my truck is still under warrenty, and since I am not always around to work on it when my wife needs it, sometimes it has to go other places.. Just for me to come along later to finish, or redo, the repair. And I rather a impact take them off, then me throw my back out in the effort.

I ussually carry my electric impact with me. I always pull over to help the people that are broke down with a flat on the side of the road, and having that impact, zips a car up on a scissor jack, takes off lug nuts mighty quick, and gets them back on the road much quicker. And when its cold out (which it is here), hypothermia is the big enemy!

That sounds like a handy option. Got any pics or product info?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
TollKeeper said:
Sure... Here is what I have..

Cordless Wrench Kit: Craftsman Quality and Surprising Power at Sears

Edit: Well I think thats what I have. My box says 300lbs. That one says 200. Mine is not a C3 model.

I'm sure that the Craftsman Gun is a much better quality than the one I purchased at HarborFreight. Main reason I got it was because I had a $50 gift card from HF that was burning a hole in my jeans. At the time, it was on sale for $99.99, so out-of-pocket ran me $50 plus tax. As I've mentioned, it's works okay for me with nothing to brag about.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Does that thing ever freeze up in the winter? In my line of work when we're working outside in below zero temps, the cordless tools with nicad batteries hardly even work. They won't charge either. My lithium ions work just fine though. Maybe worth it to upgrade to the C3 lithium ion batteries if that's your intention.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
1600 ft lb in a cordless, never heard of that.

Ingersoll rand is the top dog with their W7150 cordless 20V, 1100 ft lb

I would look for something in the 250-350 ft lb range for lug nuts.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
rmsg0040 said:
I would look for something in the 250-350 ft lb range for lug nuts.

Why? 100ish ft lbs is properly torqued.

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
^^

I got a 12V cordless 3/8" impact that delivers 130 ft lb of torque. Sure it will take off the lug nuts but its takes a while.

had a corded impact wrench from canadiantire rated at 245, could do lug nuts and the axle socket

had a corded dewalt impact wrench rated at 345, could do lug nuts and the axle socket

Not too sure if you ever used a impact wrench.

In theory yes, what you are saying makes sense, in reality its a different story.

For example: an impact wrench rated at the same torque as the lug nuts aint gonna work.

Did the rear brake yesterday. Caliper bracket bolts are torqued to what? My cordless impact wrench rated @ 700 ft lbs (bolt breakaway), 450 max. couldnt crack it. I am pretty sure those brackets aint torqued to more than 100 ft lbs.

Food for thought

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
TollKeeper said:
Sure... Here is what I have..

Cordless Wrench Kit: Craftsman Quality and Surprising Power at Sears

Edit: Well I think thats what I have. My box says 300lbs. That one says 200. Mine is not a C3 model.

I have that one, works fairly well, rated at 200 ft lbs. Removes the lugs and even removed the front axle nut after about 20 seconds of clacking away...:smile:

Only thing is it will inhale the batteries and having 2 is a necessity. I wish it had slightly more torque but not a huge deal breaker. The Milwaukee at Sears is rated at 300 ft lbs and may be worth the extra $100.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online