Cooling fan wobble

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
Hi guys-

Our cooling fan wobbles "a bit" and there is a ticking noise that sounds exactly like a loose lash adjuster. Also, when the engine idles, it makes a "chugging" noise which sounds like it occurs at 1x engine RPM in one cylinder, most notable at idle.
Can all of this have a common denominator like a faulty fan clutch? It would be nice to kill 3 birds with one stone.

I know that this may not be a fair comparison, but my '94 Jag had a DOHC 4L straight six. It was totally silent. Shouldn't the TB 4.2 be silent also?

Off topic a little bit- TC was randomly hopping from one mode to another. The newer TC selector rotary switch cost $28 and fixed it like a charm. Thanks for the help guys!

Gevans17

Jan 8, 2012
jaguarjoe said:
Hi guys-

Our cooling fan wobbles "a bit" and there is a ticking noise that sounds exactly like a loose lash adjuster. Also, when the engine idles, it makes a "chugging" noise which sounds like it occurs at 1x engine RPM in one cylinder, most notable at idle.
Can all of this have a common denominator like a faulty fan clutch? It would be nice to kill 3 birds with one stone.

I know that this may not be a fair comparison, but my '94 Jag had a DOHC 4L straight six. It was totally silent. Shouldn't the TB 4.2 be silent also?

Off topic a little bit- TC was randomly hopping from one mode to another. The newer TC selector rotary switch cost $28 and fixed it like a charm. Thanks for the help guys!

There should be no wobble in your cooling fan. It is wobbling because your water pump bearings are shot and the pump is about to fail and leave you stranded.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It could be wobbling because of the fan clutch itself. Mine was like that before I went to efans.

Gevans17

Jan 8, 2012
Gevans17 said:
There should be no wobble in your cooling fan. It is wobbling because your water pump bearings are shot and the pump is about to fail and leave you stranded.[/QUOTE

Easy enough to diagnose. Shut it off and see if you can wobbble the pump pulley by hand. I could wobble the pulley, but did not have any loss of coolant. Never seen that before. If its an '02 with the original water pump and fan clutch, I would change them bith. Just dropped $675 at my friendlvyChevy steallr because my water pump bearing failed with 96000 miles (2004) while I was out of town with no tools.

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
I looked at it again, clutch wobbles a little bit, but when more pressure is applied, pump wobbles alot.

I'd love to go to an efan but don't want the MIL light all the time. How much (and where) do you guys send your PCM's to have the code masked?

I got this 2 speed monster from a Mark VIII, it'd be great for this if it would fit.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
PCMforless is the place to go. Get it tuned for a few extra MPG and ponies. Also get better shifts dialed in. Worth the money. Just tell them to also remove the clutch fan error codes in the tune. The tune usually goes for $160 if you don't need a loaner but if you can wait a bit, they usually have sales around holidays.

I have read about that fan and it supposedly pulls a lot of power. I used a Derale controller but in that fan's case you will have to use separate heavy duty relays. Check out my thread http://gmtnation.com/f24/my-electric-fan-setup-montana-venture-efans-2425/

This controller JEGS Performance Products 52126 JEGS Adjustable Dual Fan Control Kit with Dry Temperature Sensor seems to be able to handle very high amperage and doesn't require tapping into a water outlet.

jaguarjoe

Original poster
Nov 22, 2012
That's a nice setup you have there.

I put a pair of e fans in my V12 Jag. I used 2 separate temp switches and ran 1 fan/temp switch direct to the batt (fused of course). This helps the engine cool down after it is shutdown.

I can't do much till it gets warmer outside. I want to see what signals go back and forth to the clutch. The speed sensor is on the free-wheeling side of the clutch, right? The fixed side spins with the engine.

Here are some really high current relays. I used 2 on my e fan setup:

Bosch #0-986-332-002 this a 70 amp relay, it uses 3/8" spade connectors. A lot of capacity in a small pkg.
Tyco #V23134-J0052-X300 (50 amp)
Volkswagen #8D0-951-253 (50 amp)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online