Converting front CK style turn sockets to non-CK?

groundshock

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I already have the LED's and it seems I have CK style sockets in the front.

Anyone have a quick idea of how to rewire them?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Auto parts store, new non-SRCK sockets, snip and clip. That would be the easiest option, IMO.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Very old thread but, is this good info? Would sockets be plug and play like that? Would this also work on the rears, to avoid needed to hack the tail light circuit boards? Do you have a link for the specific parts you're talking about?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yes you can just swap the front sockets since they unplug from the harness. Matt has non CK front sockets on his truck now (and my 02 evidently were never CK like I thought, I was just confuzzled).

Rear boards are always CK, no way to avoid that without modding them.

Reactions: Matt

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
So is this what you're talking about for the fronts?
Absurdly, pointlessly long URL

Also, regarding the rears, sorta of off topic but I was going to start another thread anyway. Is there detailed info anywhere about modding the rear boards? I've seen youtube videos but they have very little detail and you can't really see what he's doing. I definitely want to do these mods soon, they've been hanging over me for a year now, I want them done.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Honestly yours probably are not CK sockets so you likely don't even need those.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Multimeter, and use this diagram for reference

PIC.gif

Reactions: xavierny25

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Ok. So rather than trying to measure voltages, could I use the continuity tester in my DMM and use that to connect the pins in the socket to the body of the truck, and see which pins are grounds?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
:smile: I think that's why the function is on your meter. Of course, measure resistance (NOT voltage) to a known ground will tell that the point your are testing is connected to said ground.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Ok I'm very confused. I have a known good multimeter. I tested it on a computer power supply, and got the correct 12V and 6V. And I have a known good front 3157 socket under my headlight. I know it's good because the light works. Yet no matter what I tried, I could not get a single spec of voltage to show up on the meter, even with the light installed AND LIT. This doesn't make sense, I have no idea what I was doing wrong.

cA5OwXN.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Make sure you're touching your meter probes to the lower pins deeper in the base (power/ground), and not the upper ones at the surface (clamp the bulb in place)

You can see the pins on the right side of the pic are connected along the bottom of the base, so we know those are your ground pins. :twocents:

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Seriously the top pieces of metal aren't connected electrically do the rest? WTF. But thats why I posted pics, just in case you guys could tell by looking if they are CK or not :biggrin: So to be clear, these are NON-CK sockets?

Somewhat off topic but why the hell would they use non-ck in the front and ck in the rear? makes no sense!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah I did the same thing the first time... and second, and third.... :duh:

If you look down in the guts of the socket in those pictures, you can see how the rightmost tabs are connected together via a metal strip running along the bottom of the socket that is absent on the left side. That is a sure indicator it is a non CK socket. If it was a CK socket, you'd have two tabs on the top or bottom connected together.

l008com

Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Well that's that then. I'll be ordering some LED 3157 amber and reds. At that point, the only thing left I'll have is my reverse lights, and my head lights and fog lights. There are plenty of white ones out there, but I was specifically looking for some 4500Kish white, not the 6000K or the 2700K. But backup lights are so unimportant, I may never even bother doing anything with them.

That said, I was on some website and I saw a set of low power HID projectors meant for your backup lights. That would be coool shit :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online