Compass calibration

kjkim93

Original poster
Member
Jan 1, 2012
696
So I unplugged my battery due to working on electrical stuff. After plugging everything back in my compass started displaying a C. I've tried to calibrate it multiple times but the C is the only thing on the screen
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
kjkim93 said:
So I unplugged my battery due to working on electrical stuff. After plugging everything back in my compass started displaying a C. I've tried to calibrate it multiple times but the C is the only thing on the screen

Calibration has nothing to do with temp units. To change units hold the power button down on the mirror.
 

kjkim93

Original poster
Member
Jan 1, 2012
696
Thank you guys! i figured it out. when i unplugged the battery it reset everything and thank you for the link to the manual! i needed it!
 

meerschm

Member
Aug 26, 2012
1,079
NGDC Geomagnetic Calculators | ngdc.noaa.gov



note that the declination adjustment varies over time

link above should give you a lookup calculator to find the current declination.

of course this may not help since the compass takes a zone number. does anyone have a translation between declination degrees and zone number?

I only mention this remembering they had to renumber a couple runways due to changing magnetic compass headings. of course this all could just be in the noise for an eight point compass.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 60

meerschm

Member
Aug 26, 2012
1,079
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/img/DeclinationMap_US.png

(map too big to post here)

the actual declination moves, but not too much. I was curious since it looks like I am in zone 10 in the map in the owners manual Roadie posted, and also around 10 degrees.

looks like the default is set to 6, which, funny enough, is a few degrees plus or minus declination.(close to no adjustment needed)

I convinced myself the map is close enough. even though it looks like it is at least ten years old

if you were very far north, things have changed. I think magnetic north has moved quite a bit in the last ten years.
 

Mark20

Member
Dec 6, 2011
1,630
Is the earth's population going to be blamed for this too, like global warning?

"Stop using those compasses, you're causing pole shift!" :eek:
 

CaptainXL

Member
Dec 4, 2011
2,445
Mark20 said:
Is the earth's population going to be blamed for this too, like global warning?

"Stop using those compasses, you're causing pole shift!" :eek:

I was watching one of those history channel documentaries. And the scientist said we are due for a geomagnetic pole reversal. And in the period of time this is happening the earth's magnetic field is weakest and we will be subject to extreme cosmic radiation and failure of all types of electrical things.
 

WarGawd

Member
Sep 2, 2012
468
CaptainXL said:
I was watching one of those history channel documentaries. And the scientist said we are due for a geomagnetic pole reversal. And in the period of time this is happening the earth's magnetic field is weakest and we will be subject to extreme cosmic radiation and failure of all types of electrical things.

There were some pretty credible people touting this expected geomagnetic shift as the catastrophe that would bring about the end of the world as apparently forecast by the Mayans. And if you track down all of James Burke's series called Connections (Connections (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ), he draws a pretty fascinating connection between the ever increasing pace of technological development, and society's ever more blind dependence on it. If there's any significant truth what you're saying above, maybe that Mayan prediction will prove to have been essentially right....all pretty interesting stuff.

EDIT: Lol wtf was this thread about again? Sorry for the continued hijack :smile:
 

Phantom

Member
Jun 17, 2012
277
Wow talk about a left turn on a post. lol But the OP did get it figured out so I guess it doesn't matter?:confused:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,307
Posts
637,746
Members
18,509
Latest member
Napalm

Members Online