color matched envoy headlight housings.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Can some people post pics of color matched headlight housing's and then maybe some blacked housings with bright colored vehicles? Just trying to see if I want to color match mine or black them out. Thanks

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I may be a bit slow, but what housings? Headlights?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
These aren't internal, but this is what I did. These were done with VHT niteshade but the shop painting my truck is painting the headlights to match body color, so that I don't have to VHT them all the time.

View attachment 26576

View attachment 26577

Attachments

• IMG_20120317_165314.jpg
    IMG_20120317_165314.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20120317_165324.jpg
    IMG_20120317_165324.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 62

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
These aren't internal, but this is what I did. These were done with VHT niteshade but the shop painting my truck is painting the headlights to match body color, so that I don't have to VHT them all the time.

:confused: Why would you have to spray them more than once?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:
:confused: Why would you have to spray them more than once?

Because I was to scared to wet sand them lol and the clear I used turned the black vht to purple so I skipped that too, sooo.....the vht fades, chips etc..

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
clear coat shouldnt tint the VHT... my tails are tinted (3 years ago now) and are cleared... no signs of purple on mine... and i havent had to reapply VHT... looks as new as they day my brother did them for me... let me see if i can dig up a pic of my friends Voy (ghenny440 on here)... he painted his housings black...

be right back...

edit... got some pix... not the greatest, but you can get an idea...

2012-03-17113337_zps0f776be0.jpg

DSC01287_zpsc6cc23b2.jpg

104_5596_zps7f0f0ca1.jpg

2011-04-172010_51_34_zps34cb9fb3.jpg

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I think that will look good to help break up the green on my front end,opinions?

540972_544470978918045_1437146971_n_zps269ea321.jpg

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Sorry I don't have much of a close up. I blacked out the inner chrome piece, removed the yellow lens and painted that area black as well. I added clear led bulbs that flash yellow. That was 4 years ago and haven't had any problems from LEO's.

2012-09-14092746.jpg

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I'm planning to do the same as you. I guess we cannot black out around where the bulb goes due to the way the light uses the chrome areas correct?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
eutechnyx said:
I'm planning to do the same as you. I guess we cannot black out around where the bulb goes due to the way the light uses the chrome areas correct?

Actually, that's exactly what Regulator did. You'll get less light output from the bulb there, but as long as the bulb can be seen when it's lit, you should be fine.

:undecided: You could always try shooting the chrome reflector with some adhesion promoter, and then VHT. Then you can get some use out of the reflector. :twocents:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Actually, that's exactly what Regulator did. You'll get less light output from the bulb there, but as long as the bulb can be seen when it's lit, you should be fine.

:undecided: You could always try shooting the chrome reflector with some adhesion promoter, and then VHT. Then you can get some use out of the reflector. :twocents:

Or this Dupli-Color :: Shadow

JaySun

Feb 25, 2013
eutechnyx said:
I think that will look good to help break up the green on my front end,opinions?

540972_544470978918045_1437146971_n_zps269ea321.jpg

Definitely black would look a LOT better there instead of the chrome imo

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, just crack um open, take out the amber lens, paint the bezel, and leave the reflective housings alone... done! :cool:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I personally would say make the inside of the lights green to smooth in with the car and that it will not ruin the strip of black you have, then get clear corners or tint the corners something like that! That would flow really nice and loo smooth

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
I personally would say make the inside of the lights green to smooth in with the car and that it will not ruin the strip of black you have, then get clear corners or tint the corners something like that! That would flow really nice and loo smooth

Yep, you nailed it in my opinion, it would make the green look complete and the black a nice accent. For sure the orange reflector has to go too, maybe some switch backs in there would look good :thumbsup:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Yep, you nailed it in my opinion, it would make the green look complete and the black a nice accent. For sure the orange reflector has to go too, maybe some switch backs in there would look good :thumbsup:

switchbacks would look good also!! Those would be perfect with some clear corners :yes:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I agree with Sam and D...in fact I was just telling my husband yesterday that you should paint the insides green so they look like one piece with the truck instead of separate pieces.

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
Boricua SS said:
yea, just crack um open, take out the amber lens, paint the bezel, and leave the reflective housings alone... done! :cool:

Yup black would break up the green but still "flow". Im one of those "black out" kinda guys myself!! To me most chrome just looks girly IMO. No offence to anyone rockin chrome!! It does look good in some applications...

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
yodaddy4200 said:
Yup black would break up the green but still "flow". Im one of those "black out" kinda guys myself!! To me most chrome just looks girly IMO. No offence to anyone rockin chrome!! It does look good in some applications...

i dont know, my car looks pretty manly to me :tongue:

De-Molding2.jpg

De-Molding6.jpg

PhotoJun03124555AM.jpg

Plus I dont think breaking up the green would flow too well, well to me at least it wouldn't. The black would be too random and it would make the car look too spotty with black. if that make sense

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
To me, if you did the headlight housings black, it won't make your grille or front of the truck stick out as much because then you just have a black front and green body. Doing the housings green will still let the grille stand out along with the entire front of the truck and personally speaking, having the grille not stick out as much as it does now would just be boring lol.

You could do a temp job with paper painted the colors you want, and cut out the shape of the housing and do one template green and one black to see which you like best.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
So you guys are saying paint the inside green and leave the round 8 type shape chrome or paint behind there too?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:

De-Molding2.jpg

De-Molding6.jpg

PhotoJun03124555AM.jpg

Plus I dont think breaking up the green would flow too well, well to me at least it wouldn't. The black would be too random and it would make the car look too spotty with black. if that make sense

Agreed...and I'd paint the mirror's body color green as well, just saying :cool:

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Well I want to leave SOME black to break up all of the green. I like the side view because the black mirrors flow really well with the black window seals.

DSCF0509.jpg

Not sure if u guys see what I mean,I just dont want too much green since the truck itself is a big bright green skittle lol. but Im feeling the idea of the green headlights,just not sure if I should leave the chrome where the bulbs go or make that green too?

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
Agreed...and I'd paint the mirror's body color green as well, just saying :cool:

I agree with D on the mirror's being body color as well :thumbsup:

BTW I love your truck!

You could do the green housings and black out where the bulbs sit??? Just an idea...

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
ItsOnVoy said:

De-Molding2.jpg

De-Molding6.jpg

PhotoJun03124555AM.jpg

Lets see whats the only other color on the car besides green?? Mirrors,Hood,wheels,windows?? To spotty?? lol i knew someone was bound to get "butthurt" about the chrome comment!! :yes: and the grille?? tails look pretty dark to me!!

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
eutechnyx said:
Well I want to leave SOME black to break up all of the green. I like the side view because the black mirrors flow really well with the black window seals.

DSCF0509.jpg

Not sure if u guys see what I mean,I just dont want too much green since the truck itself is a big bright green skittle lol. but Im feeling the idea of the green headlights,just not sure if I should leave the chrome where the bulbs go or make that green too?

Think I'd be tempted to leave the chrome behind the bulbs as is so they can do their job and reflect the light properly. There would only be a small amount of chrome and since it's on separate piece it would look like a normal light reflector.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Denali n DOO said:
Think I'd be tempted to leave the chrome behind the bulbs as is so they can do their job and reflect the light properly. There would only be a small amount of chrome and since it's on separate piece it would look like a normal light reflector.

:iagree: and the paint and the heat of the headlight bulb that close might be a bad mix.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
It's such a hard decision lol. Maybe ill play with these old headlights before I cut open the new ones. My tails are tinted and I planned to lightly smoke the fogs and assistance lights along with the side markers on the headlights.

Showtyme

Nov 26, 2012
Another vote for green. Maybe add some green to the wheels also. Pin stripe and lug nuts would be cool imo.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i say black as well... but just the chrome housing.. not the reflectors...

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
Boricua SS said:
i say black as well... but just the chrome housing.. not the reflectors...

You would....:raspberry:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Black out the side marker / turn signal reflector. Put in LED's there and they will be bright enough you won't have issues. Leave the head light reflector alone. Go Green with the front plate. If black out the turn signal reflector there will be no need to vht any of the headlight assembly.

eutechnyx

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Ill be ordering new headlights to put in while I mess with these old ones. The lenses on these old ones have spider cracks and look really bad up close. Good thing is the inside parts ill be painting I can transfer over to the new ones so I'm not doing the work twice. These lenses have already been opened once.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
yodaddy4200 said:
Lets see whats the only other color on the car besides green?? Mirrors,Hood,wheels,windows?? To spotty?? lol i knew someone was bound to get "butthurt" about the chrome comment!! :yes: and the grille?? tails look pretty dark to me!!

I wasn't butthurt at all with that comment, my butt feels just fine :biggrin: lol I am just busting your balls!!

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
LOL im sorry i wasnt trying to come off as an ass!! But i always do somehow!!:yes: I hope i didnt offend you!!

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
I would go green also. Try it out before you reassemble the housing. If you don't like it then you can go black. I think the headlights in body color with the way the black comes into the grille will look :cool:.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
yodaddy4200 said:
LOL im sorry i wasnt trying to come off as an ass!! But i always do somehow!!:yes: I hope i didnt offend you!!

lol no you didn't your good! :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online

No members online now.