cold air intake

1987 mustang

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Can anyone tell me from experience would it be woth the money to upgrade to a k&n cold air intake system. Or should i just keep the stock air box and run a k&n filter. Thanks for any input.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
It honestly depends on what you want the intake for. Sound is about all you'll get from an intake system on a 4.2 without having a tune to accompany it. You'll gain a few HP in the high RPM range, and if you're lucky get a MPG difference just using the intake alone without the tune to maximize it.

Most will tell you to stay away from a K&N filter as they let a lot of small particles through. I personally still use one and just keep it clean and oiled, but strong evidence shows that high quality paper filters or ones like AEM Pro dry or Green Filters are much better.

EDIT: There's a really great deal on a K&N 77 system and a nice AEM Pro dry filter with it in the for sale section if you do decide to get an intake.

Fen65

Apr 2, 2014
I have an Airaid in mine. She's a bit more responsive now and sounds great.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
1987 mustang said:
Can anyone tell me from experience would it be woth the money to upgrade to a k&n cold air intake system. Or should i just keep the stock air box and run a k&n filter. Thanks for any input.

There are many many threads already created on this topic. If you go to search, then advanced search, type the word "intake" then select in thread title only, you will see all the threads.

There are threads from members who made their own intake to reviews on K&N and other major brands.

Filters are also discussed as well. Green filter from Green Filter USA seems to be the consensus around here for which filter to run with your intake.

Since the intakes are NOT cold air by any means, they are usually referred to as performance intakes.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I've had a k&n drop in stock box for almost 7 yrs. No concerns. Gets cleaned about every 9 mo.s to a year (drive maybe 10-12k miles last few years)

I WILL be buying a green filter next time though.

Anything else without a tune is a waste of money IMO.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Playsinsnow said:
Anything else without a tune is a waste of money IMO.

Good point, considering you can get a tune from PCMofNC for the same price as a performance intake. A tune is cheaper than a new K&N intake.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Get the tune first, then decided if you want an intake. I have a True Flow on mine and I like it. It has performed well and saved me $$$ over the years with several cleanings. My tune is built for the intake and takes advanage of it, but it does not add much. I am pulling through a modified stock box. The ultimate plan is a new or modified hood with true cold air direct to the top of the air box.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
glfredrick said:
Get the tune first, then decided if you want an intake. I have a True Flow on mine and I like it. It has performed well and saved me $$$ over the years with several cleanings. My tune is built for the intake and takes advanage of it, but it does not add much. I am pulling through a modified stock box. The ultimate plan is a new or modified hood with true cold air direct to the top of the air box.

Have to agree. A tune is best bang for buck. Using a good washable filter with a modded stock setup is going to save money over time and works quite well.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Since everyone is mentioning tunes to work with modified intakes, can anyone suggest what parameters should be adjusted (and how)? I have HPT and would love to learn more about dialing in my PCM for the mods I've made, but I don't think I've ever seen a thread where anyone discussed fine-tuning for a custom intake.

Petenice518

Feb 11, 2015
Ok exactly what is a tune? And which is better for the buck?
Mild 4x4 more highway and city driving. 05 TB tow pack.

K&N or AirRaid

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Petenice518 said:
It just alters different parameters that GM programmed into the computer. Can give you more power and such.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA

'Nuff said.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Petenice518 said:

K&N or AirRaid
Get a tune it is '' the best bang for your buck'' I did the http://www.pcmofnc.com/ tune Lots of read on here about it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Petenice518 said:

K&N or AirRaid

K& N if you like increased dirt in your engine. However, neither will really increase performance on our platform. The stock setup is not very restrictive and is simple to modify if you want. As stated above, a good filter(not K&N) and modified stock setup with leave you $ ahead and better overall filtering and same performance as the prepackaged CAI setups available.

Reactions: Blckshdw and Mounce

bspurloc

Dec 27, 2012
Mooseman said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA

'Nuff said.
Haha...
aka they proved the cold air intake does increase power, notably at higher rpm's...
and they note getting a tune for the intake doesnt make sense cuz the car monitors air speed and adjusts...
so I guess the tune has nothing to do with the air intake and more to do with tuning the engine, shifting at higher rpm's etc etc...

mbmb65

Feb 19, 2015
HARDTRAILZ said:
K& N if you like increased dirt in your engine. However, neither will really increase performance on our platform. The stock setup is not very restrictive and is simple to modify if you want. As stated above, a good filter(not K&N) and modified stock setup with leave you $ ahead and better overall filtering and same performance as the prepackaged CAI setups available.
Can you elaborate on the simple modifications to the factory air box?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Open up the front and gut the interior.

Reactions: Petenice518

mbmb65

Feb 19, 2015
HARDTRAILZ said:
Open up the front and gut the interior.
That's it? Simply remove it all? I've heard mention of plugging holes. What's that all about? FWIW, I have searched for answers concerning this topic. I just haven't really found what I need to complete this mod. Please forgive me, I'm new here. [emoji1]

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
mbmb65 said:
That's it? Simply remove it all? I've heard mention of plugging holes. What's that all about? FWIW, I have searched for answers concerning this topic. I just haven't really found what I need to complete this mod. Please forgive me, I'm new here. [emoji1]
If you look at the inside of the air box cover, you'll see there are 2 large chambers. They essentially sit right on top of the filter. As long as you're handy with a dremel, or a hot knife, it's a pretty easy task. You'd only need to plug holes, if you routed your 'non hot engine bay air' source in from somewhere else.

mbmb65

Feb 19, 2015
Blckshdw said:
If you look at the inside of the air box cover, you'll see there are 2 large chambers. They essentially sit right on top of the filter. As long as you're handy with a dremel, or a hot knife, it's a pretty easy task. You'd only need to plug holes, if you routed your 'non hot engine bay air' source in from somewhere else.
Hey thanks. As a carpenter and pipe fitter, I'm good with tools and what not and mechanically minded, but not so keen with the cars. Is there a benefit from routing intake air fro another locale? Much obliged for the helps.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Depends on your application. A lot of the SS guys will remove the washer tank and route their intake down into the fender well area in front of the passenger wheel to get cooler air for better performance. If you were to buy one of the few functional ram-air hoods, the inlet in those feeds to the top of the air box, so you'd have to cut a square hole there, and plug the factory hole in front of the box. Or if you were doing something else, like building a snorkel setup for offroading...

mbmb65

Feb 19, 2015
Blckshdw said:
Depends on your application. A lot of the SS guys will remove the washer tank and route their intake down into the fender well area in front of the passenger wheel to get cooler air for better performance. If you were to buy one of the few functional ram-air hoods, the inlet in those feeds to the top of the air box, so you'd have to cut a square hole there, and plug the factory hole in front of the box. Or if you were doing something else, like building a snorkel setup for offroading...
Many thanks. My envoy is a daily driver, moving kids and wives through the forest. No legitimate off roading, but lots of FS roads and snow. I reckon my primary concern is squeezing an MPG or 2 out of the deal.

bspurloc

Dec 27, 2012
The video on here got me hooked on Mighty Car Mods the dudes in the video...
they do a lot of testing and messing around...
by their test the cold air intake needs to be isolated from the heat of the engine by a cage of sorts and there will be increased power at higher rpm's

Petenice518

Feb 11, 2015
ok I was told get intake and exhaust then performance chip like bullydog to change parameters. So consensus seems to be Green filter with or without airbox and single or dual exhaust and which name? Which chip from who? And should this be enough for performance enhanced tune.? Performance then looks. Im ultimately trying to increase HP, MPG, Fuel eff. etc etc.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Petenice518 said:
ok I was told get intake and exhaust then performance chip like bullydog to change parameters. So consensus seems to be Green filter with or without airbox and single or dual exhaust and which name? Which chip from who? And should this be enough for performance enhanced tune.? Performance then looks. Im ultimately trying to increase HP, MPG, Fuel eff. etc etc.
Performance chips are a waste of money. The PCM will adjust parameters to offset any changes the chip makes, so the truck runs how it was programmed from the factory. You need to have the core programming of the PCM changed (this is a tune) either by a mail order service like PCMofNC, or a local speed shop.

If you increase engine performance, you will not gain MPG. Those 2 factors are opposite sides of the same coin. :twocents:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Petenice518 said:
You should smack whoever told you to get a "performance chip". You will want a PCM tune from PCMofNC.com. Price for mail-in tune runs $159. One of the best I6 performance mods.

As far as intakes, you will have lots of opinions. I personally have the K&N performance intake with a Green filter. K&N has the most complete kit IMO. Usually run around $200.

Exhaust is up to you. I am not a fan of dual exhaust. Most of us just cut the resonator off and call it a day. Other take it further and replace the OE muffler with an aftermarket one. Cant see your vehicle info, but Gibson makes a nice stainless steel catback exhaust. That will run you a few hundred. Kooks also makes a header for the I6, also sold at pcmofnc.com.

Still the best performance mod to increase HP, throttle response, MPGs, etc is going to be a PCM tune. You can change the shift firmness, remove torque management, remove speed limiter, increase rev limiter, etc.

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
i would skip the cai. our stock air boxes aren't very restrictive. if you do want to get a cai, get the black plastic k&n (used if you can) and a green filter.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Also, you might want to check under your hood because your 05 TBLT will NOT have a 3.5L I5 unless you did an engine swap from a Colorado. You will either have the 4.2L I6 or the 5.3L V8.

This information will be essential to know when you are ordering your tune, exhaust, performance intake, etc. :twocents:

Reactions: swede and Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online