code scanner

gui67

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
HEllo,
What kind of code scanner should I buy for my trailblazer?
I am looking to read the engine codes but also from transmission (TCCM) and ABS if possible.
I see there are 2 types: the one that are plugged on a computer or the handhelds.
personally I don't have a preference between both.

I have an old ELM scan from scantool that I use with free softwares:
ScanTool.net LLC - ElmScan VPW - Discontinued - Scan Tools - ScanTool.net
It is enough to read generic engine codes and reset them, but the software I use don't get to the transmission codes. I think It is certainly too old now and the new software will certainly not be compatible anymore.

There is so many choice for scanners and softwares that I really don't know what to buy. I would prefer something which could be used on other vehicles with OBD2.
for the transmission codes, I read that a terminal mode is required to send and receive hexadecimal codes.
Could you please give me your experience and give me some advices to choose the right product ?
I have a budget of approximately 200$ (I could spend a bit more if needed)
Thanks
Guillaume

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
If you do get a unit that relates transmission and abs codes gives us an update. I would be interested in possibly upgrading one day.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
As far as I can tell, that does only OBDII (emissions) codes.

I don't know any consumer-level tools that do TCCM codes, and there are not a lot of consumer scan tools that do ABS and SRS codes. You need to shop very carefully, and make sure they specifically lost ABS and SRS code reading ability for your specific year.

I paid around $100 for an OTC 9450 scan tool that does OBDII, SRS and ABS codes and so far it seems to be working fine.

gui67

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Thank you blurry for your link.
Finally, I ordered an OBDpros serial scantool. that was one of the cheapest I found, with good reviews.

I tied using hyperterinla with my old ELM 322 based scantool, I got communication, but did not manage to get the codes. As it is very old, the protocol is certainly not the same.
I will try with the new one as soon as I get it.

blurry

Sep 7, 2012
gui67 said:
Thank you blurry for your link.
Finally, I ordered an OBDpros serial scantool. that was one of the cheapest I found, with good reviews.

I tied using hyperterinla with my old ELM 322 based scantool, I got communication, but did not manage to get the codes. As it is very old, the protocol is certainly not the same.
I will try with the new one as soon as I get it.

glad it helps. if you can get the command line working without the ScanXL Pro SW, please post to the how to thread!

thanks!

gui67

Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I used this video to configure hyperterminal:
[video=youtube_share;hJiEUaj6Hpk]http://youtu.be/hJiEUaj6Hpk[/video]

As I had windows 7, I had to download hyperterminal, it is possible to download it and use it during a period of 30 days for free ( HyperTerminal Free Trial - for Windows 7 Vista XP - Hilgraeve).
I will try to find an other software. I heared Putty should work, but I will have to try.

Or I will try to make it work on linux.

It works: I managed to get an answer to atz. When I get the ELM327 scanner, I will try to get the codes from TCCM

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
I have a Actron CP9580 I like it, I'm pretty sure it only does Engine codes and ABS though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.