Code 6046

blwn31

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Mother-in-Laws TB, dealer says PCM throwing code 6046. Anyone know what this is? I can't find it online, dealer says PCM is bad. TB runs fine, check engine light on once last week for one cycle.

Keith

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I can't find anything about it either. Aka, I personally don't think that's an actual code. I believe the code that indicates that the pcm has self diagnosed itself as bad is P0601.

If the check engine light went off, I would let it be. If it comes on again, have her run by a parts store to get the codes read (it's free) and have her write them down then relay them to us.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
The tech apparently is a little uneducated. 6046 is the software version of the tech 2 device. It was probably a fault for no communication to the pcm in the truck and defaulted to the start up screen. Which could simply be caused by a blown fuse under the hood.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
lol /facepalm

"Tech" definitely didn't know what he was doing. Betcha the lighter socket fuse is bad as that is what powers the OBDII port.

blwn31

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
I'm a little leery with their diagnosis, they love seeing old people come to the stealership. They want to replace the PCM for a cool $1000. I'm going to her place next weekend, gonna take my MODIS and see what it says.

Keith

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah, no. General rule of thumb is to avoid the dealership at all costs. Average Joe can replace the pcm for a couple hundred in his front yard. Only catch is if you do replace it, you'll have to take it to the dealer to get programmed but it'll be a lot cheaper than $1000 after both expenses.

Let us know what you find with your scanner.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Actually, you don't even need to have it programmed. Just a security relearn and you're good to go. And PCMs you can find cheap at u-pull yards.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
CASE relearn, sir. Not mandatory but it'd be a better piece of mind for his mother in law if she didn't have to stare at the check engine light if they didn't do the relearn.

blwn31

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
I've had a ton of issues with my TB but never a PCM up to this point. I must say, every time she goes in for service, they pound her pretty hard, doesn't matter if it's a dealer or private shop. I've made the 2 hour trip a couple times to scan and repair hers. My MODIS has paid for itself just with the two TB's I use it on... I'll let you all know what becomes of it.

Keith

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mounce said:
CASE relearn, sir. Not mandatory but it'd be a better piece of mind for his mother in law if she didn't have to stare at the check engine light if they didn't do the relearn.
Of course but can be test run without it until confirmed the PCM is the issue. What I meant to say is that there is no "programming" to do to make it work. Plug in, security relearn and go.

blwn31

Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Well, Scanned Mother-in-Laws TB this morning. The code turns out to be P0606, darn, not what I wanted to see. Those idiots at the steelership can't even give me the correct code. She explained to the service adviser I couldn't find the 6046 code they were faulting online, they stated only GM would know what it is, OK...P0606 is Internal Processor Fault, she told me it's only happened once, and like I stated earlier, the check engine light was only on for one cycle. At this point this is not a current code, only a history code. I got overzealous and erased it before I could view freeze frame data. Oh well, live and learn, I will check on it the next time we visit. I'm hoping it was just a transient fault that won't show it's ugly head again. If it does I'll be hunting down a PCM.

Keith

Reactions: Mooseman and Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online