Check Engine Light Steady

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I got the P0128 code (coolant temp below regulating temperature)...heres the thing, my gauge reads 210 like always

Can anyone help? I am kind of in a bind too, I need to drive the truck 3+ hours tomorrow to PA then back...Is it safe to drive this far or will I end up causing damage?

oh, and the coolant was replaced at 50,000 (only 10,000 miles ago)

thanks,
-Rob

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
The gauge on the cluster is just a dummy gauge. Get a real time reading.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's safe to drive if the gauge shows 210. Especially if you can check the true sensor data with a scan gauge or tool.

P0128 ALSO sets if the engine is SLOW to come up to the proper temp. Still a thermostat problem, but not as bad as one that is always open a bit and the ECT remains under 185 or so. The PCM knows how fast the engine "should" come up to temp because it know how hard you're driving it, and if it's slower than expected, you also get P0128. But it's a P0128 for a less urgent reason than the usual one. Little secret from the shop manual.

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
The PCM knows how fast the engine "should" come up to temp because it know how hard you're driving it, and if it's slower than expected, you also get P0128.

With that said...could me seriously "pussy footing" the throttle the past few days cause this reading? I noticed that my driving was a bit heavy on the gas (when my wallet was empty) so I decided to remove my lead foot...saving gas but now I have the P0128 code

...just thinking out loud

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
keepontruckin said:
With that said...could me seriously "pussy footing" the throttle the past few days cause this reading?......
Well, did the check engine light come on immediately after you started "pussy footing"?

If not, then the answer is no.

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well apparently it takes two failures to trip the sensor...so i think there is a good possibility, but it was just a thought...

Ill be picking up a thermostat tomorrow morning, thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online