Changing Air filter

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
So simple question. Has anyone replaced their original air filter from when they bought the car? All I remember was I got a tune up around 50k and my mechanic changed it for me. How many mileage can a air filter be used?

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Hard to answer because it differs for everyone based on the environment you drive. I've seen recommendations from 10k to 30k miles. The best thing to do is pull it out and look at it. If it looks dirty/dusty replace it. I replace mine yearly just as preventive maintenance, but I could probably go longer. It's cheap insurance to increase the life of your engine.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
At 50K, what specifically did he *do* for a tune-up? Plugs and coolant aren't due until 100K. The transfer case fluid is CRITICAL to change at 50K. Did he do that? There are no PCV valves, plug wires, or distributor parts. The throttle body should be removed between 30-50K for a thorough cleaning on the I6. Did he do that? Just trying to make sure that's a mechanic you can trust, or somebody who does unnecessary (or impossible) work to pad their retirement fund. :wink:

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
the roadie said:
At 50K, what specifically did he *do* for a tune-up? Plugs and coolant aren't due until 100K. The transfer case fluid is CRITICAL to change at 50K. Did he do that? There are no PCV valves, plug wires, or distributor parts. The throttle body should be removed between 30-50K for a thorough cleaning on the I6. Did he do that? Just trying to make sure that's a mechanic you can trust, or somebody who does unnecessary (or impossible) work to pad their retirement fund. :wink:

I remember he changed the spark plugs, the engine oil, air filter, and the transfer case. I did the throttle body myself. Now im Almost at 90k. Changed the thermostat and did a flush about a 3 weeks ago. Started failing about 3 to 4 months ago. Which I believe an oem part lasted pretty long.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
kjkim93 said:
I remember he changed the spark plugs, the engine oil, air filter, and the transfer case. I did the throttle body myself. Now im Almost at 90k. Changed the thermostat and did a flush about a 3 weeks ago. Started failing about 3 to 4 months ago. Which I believe an oem part lasted pretty long.

you got taken on those sparkplugs!!! Roadie is completely correct they dont need to be changed till 100K how much that run you?

kjkim93

Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
jonbo2002 said:
you got taken on those sparkplugs!!! Roadie is completely correct they dont need to be changed till 100K how much that run you?

:sadcry: oh damn. If I remember correctly he changed the spark plugs only because we kept getting a check engine light whenever it rained or a day after it rains. Water would be around a specific plug. But he did it on his own money. He has been a family friend and his prices are reasonable.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online