Changed Thermostat and Coolant Temp Sensor, now misfiring badly, P0300 code.

Four-point-Two

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
My 04 had a P0128 code pop up about a week ago. It started idling rough and then developed a hesitation/stutter upon acceleration. I changed the themostat and the Coolant Temp Sensor today, and now I'm getting a bad misfire, CEL light is flashing, and a P0300 code. Could it be my Cat, or just by some weird coincidence, my plugs or a coil may have quit? I have never changed the plugs, or even touched them, as the SUV has been really reliable (89,990 miles), only doing oil changes, TB cleaning, rear backing plates, brakes, heater resistor, and the air pump (water in it, then seize-up and relay goes-deal). Any ideas? I've searched on here for hours, and now my mind is going in a hundred different directions! :crazy:

Jul 24, 2012
DTC P0300 Engine Misfire Detected

That diagnostic has a lot of information in it. The flashing CEL seems to point to the cat, according to that web page.

The consensus on testing the cat seems to be removing the O2 sensors and doing a backpressure test.

Could be plugs / ignition, or the way the belt & pulleys went back together, says the diagnostic.

Can you get ahold of a backpressure test gauge?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
I would start with checking/changing the spark plugs first. If the spark plugs check out ok I would then check for vacuum leaks. Possibly something you removed/bent/cracked when changing the coolant temp sensor? Get some carb cleaner and with the engine running spray around the intake and see if the idle changes at all. Another thing that can cause the P0300 is low fuel pressure. Also the fuel filter comes to mind and it is way overdue to replace it if its never been done. Also check the Fuel Pressure Regulator for leaks as it can cause a rough idle.

Another odd thing that can happen is if the battery is bad or the connections are loose or corroded. Also clean the throttle body on both sides.

Four-point-Two

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I also changed the fuel filter yesterday. I don't believe it's fuel-delivery related, but I can check. Is there a place to put a fuel pressure guage on, like a Schrader valve? What should the pressure be? The battery is original, and checks out ok. Maybe time for a new battery, anyway!

Four-point-Two

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
6716 said:
DTC P0300 Engine Misfire Detected

That diagnostic has a lot of information in it. The flashing CEL seems to point to the cat, according to that web page.

The consensus on testing the cat seems to be removing the O2 sensors and doing a backpressure test.

Could be plugs / ignition, or the way the belt & pulleys went back together, says the diagnostic.

Can you get ahold of a backpressure test gauge?

Belt is on correctly. Could a compression test gauge be used with an adapter fitting for the O2 sensor thread size? Not sure where I could get one, guess I could buy or rent one?

Jul 24, 2012
Four-point-Two said:
Belt is on correctly. Could a compression test gauge be used with an adapter fitting for the O2 sensor thread size? Not sure where I could get one, guess I could buy or rent one?

Yeah, I don't know how a person could get the belt on incorrectly.

Here's what I've learned by research on this site and the general interwebs -- I also replaced my thermostat and wondered about cat health, but I haven't gotten around to doing the testing since my mileage is good, there are no codes, and everything seems to be running well.

There are two O2 sensors, one on the exhaust manifold, and one on the back end of the cat. It appears that if the cat is blocked it can cause serious engine performance problems. The quick way to test it is to take off the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold (using a special socket that is like a spark-plug socket with a slot up the side to accommodate the wiring that goes from the sensor back to the PCM). Install a pressure gauge, fire up the engine, have a helper rev it around, and see what it reads.

A backpressure gauge is available for sale on the internet and in-store. It doesn't take much pressure to indicate a cat problem, so in addition to the fitting the gauge has to have the proper low-end range on the scale.

I've read that if you are not satisfied with the results of just the manifold reading, you can also re-install the manifold O2 sensor and take out the down-line sensor behind the cat, and compare the readings. In that case, a significant difference would indicate a blocked cat.

Once I finish my front-end rebuild, get new tires, replace my windshield (not necessarily in that order), swap in a G80 differential ... I might even get around to doing this test myself.

Tons of youtube vids on this test. Gauge can be had for purchase from 40 to 100 bucks. Maybe you can rent/borrow at AAP, don't know.

Four-point-Two

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
OK, so I think it's fixed! I drove the vehicle for a while so any other codes would be stored, and low and behold, P0304 comes up. I pulled the #4 coil, and the well is full of water? I dried it out, dried the coil, boot, and spring and put dielectric grease in the boot. Then I switched it with coil #3 to see if it was bad or not. Drove it for a while, no more codes! Much more power than before the thermostat and sensor was changed. It still idles low sometimes, and surges sometimes, too. It isn't setting any codes off, so I'm crossing my fingers! Thanks for your input!:thumbsup:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Four-point-Two said:
OK, so I think it's fixed! I drove the vehicle for a while so any other codes would be stored, and low and behold, P0304 comes up. I pulled the #4 coil, and the well is full of water? I dried it out, dried the coil, boot, and spring and put dielectric grease in the boot. Then I switched it with coil #3 to see if it was bad or not. Drove it for a while, no more codes! Much more power than before the thermostat and sensor was changed. It still idles low sometimes, and surges sometimes, too. It isn't setting any codes off, so I'm crossing my fingers! Thanks for your input!:thumbsup:

Put a piece of foam weather stripping on the cowl under the black OEM hood seal. That should stop the water from dripping down onto the engine.

ramrod919

Sep 4, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Put a piece of foam weather stripping on the cowl under the black OEM hood seal. That should stop the water from dripping down onto the engine.

Any particular weather stripping better?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
ramrod919 said:
Any particular weather stripping better?

Any of the self sticking type used for around doors is fine. It's just to keep the water from dripping on the engine and adds some pressure against the hood.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online